StoreEver Tape Storage
1753300 Members
7215 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VS80 & Backup Exec 9.1 Build 4691

CA1143691

VS80 & Backup Exec 9.1 Build 4691

Backup job (any type) results in "pre-processing" phase for 1.25 hours before backup even starts. Job takes 2.5 hrs for 4.5GB data! Drive (new) installed in brand new ML350 G3 running SBS 2003 Std Ed. Have narrowed it down to the drive, as a DDS4 DAT starts backup straight away. Using embedded HP Ultra3 controller (port 1 & 2 same). Have tried Adaptec 29160, backup exec fully patched, tried couple registry tweaks, updated drive firmware to latest on HP site. Any suggestions appreciated. This is driving me nuts! Veritas support next to useless.
11 REPLIES 11
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Re: VS80 & Backup Exec 9.1 Build 4691

There is a progress indicator setting in BE that you have selected that attempts to "estimate" the time it will take to do the job. This is the function that gives you the nice progress line scale. If you turn this off, I am sure you will see an improvement. Another improvement is the amount of logging you want the job to do... the less logged, the faster it will go.
"Now is the only thing that's real!"
CA1143691

John, the progress indicator is off by default, and job logging minimal (both in my case). I've tried a DDS4 DAT drive in the HP ML350 and that worked fine. I've now just transferred the VS80 DLT to a Dell PowerEdge 600SC, and it is working fine in this server! The drive configuration paramters are the same on both servers (within BE), and the BE version is the same. I think I'll give HP a call. . . .
Paul Kearney

Hi,

I know what you've been going through! I've got an brand new identical setup (ML350 G3, VS90 BExec 9.1). I've tried everything I can find (block sizes, Hp & Veritas drivers, different port... - all except another card).

Have you solved this yet? The speed problems only seem to be at backup, as I restored 25Gb data in less than 2 hours OK.

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks

Paul
CA1143691

Paul

I tested the server with a new HP SDLT drive over the weekend, and that works fine (i.e. backup & verify 8.5GB in less than 20 minutes). I've reported this to HP & will come back if I hear any news.

The backup speed, when it gets going, averages about 180-200MB/Min on the C drive. I've also found restores are ok with no initial pre-processing latency.

Rgds
Adrian
Paul Kearney

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the message. I'm wondering if it might have somethingto do with preparing the tape for a disaster recovery boot?

I guess we can put up with the pre-processing delay for overnight backups, but it would be a pain if you just want to run a small/quick archive during the day.

I'll let you know if I find out anything before you.

Regards

Paul

P.S. Where are you (I'm South London UK) - just wondering if it might be location specific...
CA843380
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Is this a preformat feature when using a blank tape? hence the delay before the backup actually starts?

Have you tried doing the same backup after formatting the tapes with BackupExec?

Cheers,

Dave Dewar

CA1148821

First diaable the options to estimate the time of backup & virus scanning , because the virus scanning seem to work not on the fly but before start the backup.
Second, hear the tape while backing up: if you hear the tape "start and stopping" it means that the drive do not receive the data fast enough (the VS80 do not have lot of buffer): the dlt drive run "physically" the tape very fast so it require lot of time to start and to stop without destroying the tape.
Fortunately , BEX can configure some parameters on device (select the drive and open properties ,configuration , i used these

block size 64K
Buffer size 256K
buffer count 10
watermark 0

and this worked for my 15 servers

NB:You will continue to hear some stop/start but much more less

CA1143691

Hi all

I've tried your suggestions & none have worked!

Display progress indicators are off (by default). No virus scan enabled in BE (can't find the option in 9.1). Changed the tape drive config / buffer size etc & rebooted. Can't format the tapes - option grayed out. Pre-processing still at 1.5 hrs. SDLT & DAT drives do not experience the same problem in this server!

Paul, it must be location specific - the server is in London!

Thanks
Adrian
CA1143691

For those who are interested:

Pre-processing problem solved - HP swapped the VS80 drive & now the backup starts after 5 minutes.

Anyone having similar problems ensure the SCSI cable into the drive is in really firm, and if that fails get HP to swap the drive under warranty.

Rgds
Adrian