1753888 Members
7531 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Veritas Backup Exec

masauso zimba
Advisor

Veritas Backup Exec

We have just installed Veritas Backup Exec. We run a test backup and looking at the job history, job status is successfull,but job log is blank, server name is blank, Device name is blank. And nothing is backed up.Files, Directories etc just shows 0. What could be wrong and what do I need to check ?

I am new to Veritas Backup and would appreciate any assistance / help.

TIA

Masa.
Only those who go too far know how far one can go !
8 REPLIES 8

May i ask you more information, What's the version of BE and Do u use Veritas driver for ur tape, which model of your tape
masauso zimba
Advisor

We are running Veritas Backup Exec 9.0 for Windows servers. The Tape drive is a C7399 Ultrium tape drive and we are using HP Ultrium 200GB tapes
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Hi Masa,

Have you tried using the backup program in win2K, NTbackup?

It would be useful if you could isolate whether this is a drive or software issue?

Cheers,

Dave Dewar.
Chris Wyld
Frequent Advisor

What did you tell it to back up? If you didn't select any files, the tape will be blank, but the job will be successful. Also, did you configure your tape drive using Backup Exec and/or label your tapes using BE?
masauso zimba
Advisor

Dave,I have run NTbackup and it backs up Okay.

Chris, I did specify what to backup. I did a selection list before submiting the job.

So What could be the problem ??

Masa
Evan Hanna

Did you actually manually enter the server name in the selection list or did you choose to select it via netbios/the browse list? I have seen situations with BE v8.6 where if you do not choose the server through the browse list, it will show a successful backup, but not actually back anything up.
Lee Kaplus

Try again using the new job wizard and select a gig or so to back up..maybe you missed something being new. You can see your Tape drive under Devices right? Media set up right?
Try a diifferent Tape..I have seen many weird things with Veritas 9.0..Windows2000 combinations..

Lee
IT The Mystery
Keith Naramore

It is curious that the job shows successful. Could be a rights issue. Make sure the account that Backup Exec is using is an administrator.

Keith