3665 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Vmware ESX / MSL4048 / dataprotector Zoning Question

IvanForceville
Regular Advisor

Vmware ESX / MSL4048 / dataprotector Zoning Question

Hello @,

We have an outstanding order @ HP for a new ESX 3.5 environment and we ran into some questions concerning ESX and MSL Tape libraries zoning with HP dataprotector

The setup: (every device is SAN connected)
5x Vmware ESX 3.5 Hosts
1x Dataprotector 6.1 server
1x EVA4400 with integrated switches
1x MSL4048 Tape library

Dataprotector will be implemented in a traditional way with agents with the VM's.

We are currently setting up the zoning and we where wondering if the ESX servers need to see the tape drives in the MSL since backup is going over the LAN through the Backup server?
So, do we need to add zones like (ESX1_HBA1 + MSL_LTO1 ...)

We're still doing the functional design so we can still change this anyway around, best practice offcourse.

Thx

4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

No, VMware ESX servers do not need to see the library. As of today, Fibre Channel attached tape (libraries) are not supported anyway.
IvanForceville
Regular Advisor

Uwe, What do you mean by "as of today"?
Do you have some official support documents about this issue?

The design was made together with HP a few months ago?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Kind of disclaimer ;-)

The non-support _might_ change in future versions and no, I don't have any insider information.

I don't see a problem as the backup server which runs the DP media agent uses a standard OS like Windows, Linux, HP-UX, right?
IvanForceville
Regular Advisor

Thx for the answer.
In the mean time I've send out a question to our presales guy @ HP to have this checked.

Anyhow, the esx servers don't need to see the library, that's one thing... I thought so.