1753894 Members
7614 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What backup software to get?

CA1080629
Occasional Advisor

What backup software to get?

First let me say this is for my personnal home PC.

I used to use 1Safe to backup my PC everyday and since it offers drive letter access I moved all my large (1GB+) video files to tapes so I could watch them off the tape, now they went bankrupt so I need another program and realize 1Safe was probably the only one with drive letter access so I'll have to live without it.

Here's what I want it to do:
-I want to be able to make 1 full backup, then everyday make an incremental backup that is added to the original full backup, and each version of each file should be kept, so if I decide I want to restore to 3 days ago, I enter the date and it restores from the fullbackup and all the followinf incrementals until 3 days ago

-I tried TapeWare and noticed the stats all stay at 0 if I backup only 1 large file, it seems to measure performance at the end of each file copied so I have no stats available when copiying a large file, I would like one that shows the real transfer rate

-In the event of a crash, I would like to be able to just enter the tape and a startup/recovery floppy and restore all my data including windows without having to first install windows and the restore software

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Mr. Dean
Frequent Advisor

Re: What backup software to get?

First of all, what type of drive do you have?

There are many different backup applications out there, most popular (i've seen) are Backup Exec, Arcserve, and Tapeware.

I do this everyday...
Bob_196
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

Which tape drive are you planning on using?

Cheers
Bob

Mr. Dean
Frequent Advisor

Also what Operating System do you have?
I do this everyday...
CA1080629
Occasional Advisor

SDX-420C IDE AIT1 drive under Windows XP.

Thanks
Munir_1
Trusted Contributor

You might need to check with the software venders
and since this Is A Sony Drive

See Software Compatibility Guide:
http://www.storagebysony.com/OEM/reseller/media/allait_isv_chart.pdf

http://www.storagebysony.com/OEM/products/productmain.asp?id=161
CA1080629
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, that tells me which is compatible with my drive.

But which have the features I requested in my original post?

Thanks
Bob_196
Trusted Contributor

As this is a forum for HP products - it would probably be in your best interest to contact the software vendors directly for specific information on the backup softwares that are compatible with your tape drive. Or failing that the manufactuer of your drive - i.e. Sony

Cheers
Bob

CA1080629
Occasional Advisor

I know what is and isnt compatible with my drive, I want to know what software can do what I requested in my original post.
Thanks
Munir_1
Trusted Contributor

>>> Here's what I want it to do:
-I want to be able to make 1 full backup, then everyday make an incremental backup that is added to the original full backup, and each version of each file should be kept, so if I decide I want to restore to 3 days ago, I enter the date and it restores from the fullbackup and all the followinf incrementals until 3 days ago

-I tried TapeWare and noticed the stats all stay at 0 if I backup only 1 large file, it seems to measure performance at the end of each file copied so I have no stats available when copiying a large file, I would like one that shows the real transfer rate

-In the event of a crash, I would like to be able to just enter the tape and a startup/recovery floppy and restore all my data including windows without having to first install windows and the restore software
>>>>

I understand that you are looking for a backup software that is cable of doing what you mentioned above.
I don├в t know what software able of that, but I was humbly suggesting to contact the Backup software companies.
Find what it compatible with your drive contact them and then ask them if there software capable of doing that or not

Muni