StoreEver Tape Storage
1752355 Members
5744 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What do I need to make a 2/40 out of 2 2/20 Libraries

Eric Linberg

What do I need to make a 2/40 out of 2 2/20 Libraries

I realize that this product has reached its end of life but I am wondering if there is a way to connect my 2 2/20 Libraries together to make a 2/40 library.
I actually only have 2 LTO-1 Drives in 1 library and no drives in the other.

If it is possible, is there any additional hardware or software that I would need to make this work.
3 REPLIES 3
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: What do I need to make a 2/40 out of 2 2/20 Libraries

Hi there.
AFAIK there is a set to extend this type of library to a max of 6/60.
You might need the rails for the robot so that it can access the additional slots in the second part of the lib.
Contact HP support for this question, if necessary.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Ed Fair
Occasional Contributor

Eric,
Did you make this work?

I have a copy of the service manual in PDF format if you need it, it has some comments on "assembling" a stack, but doesn't refer to hardware or firmware changes.

ed (ed_fair@yahoo.com)
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

The question on firmware is easy - the some code works for all the products in this family.

There are some differences between a single stack and a multi stack.

* The first is the picker has a vertical lift motor added to it (there are two pickers, one without the lift and one with the lift).

* There's a different "lid" over the picker to make room for the vertical lift motor.

* There are difference is the gear rails used for the picker. The bottom unit (which I think is the same as a standalone) has stops, while the upper unit(s) do not.

* The slave units need a "slave controller" board, instead of the SCSI library controller board.

* The front panel is only in one unit, so you need to add a viewing window to the one without a front panel.

* There's an interconnect ribbon cable.

* There's different rack mount trim pieces.

Probably a few other things I missed.

They way a 2/20 was expanded to a X/40 was by adding an expansion module which included all the necessary parts. Much of the chassis is common with the full unit, but as you can see from above there are also a number of differences.
The journey IS the reward.