1752598 Members
5439 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2003 can't see FCTC library

Daniel Kellen
Occasional Visitor

Windows 2003 can't see FCTC library

I have added a Win2003 server to the SAN, but it doesn't see the tape library behind an existing FCTC. I see the FCTC WWN in LPUTILNT under Persistent Binding. Any ideas?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The FCTC may need a bit more configuration. I know that on the MDR and the NSR, you need to go into the serial port/web interface and tell the device that... "Server WWID is to be able to see Tape Drive 1 and Robot". This is called mapping and/or applying a map to a specific World Wide ID

That is the best I can do without actually seeing the FCTC interface, which I have not seen in so long.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Daniel Kellen
Occasional Visitor

It's been forever since I had seen an FCTC myself. I was sure there was a mapping feature, but could find not such thing in the interface. I skimmed the user guide and came up with no mention of mapping there as well.

I wonder if it's a SCSI2 vs SCSI3 kind of thing.
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

You will not be able to see the devices behind the fctc in combination with Windows 2003. W2k3 can not handle the fctc mappings.
Windows 2000 should work though.

Leon
Daniel Kellen
Occasional Visitor

Win2000 does work fine. That's why I don't understand Win2003 not working.
A technical explanation would be greatly appreciated!
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

I don't know exactly why it doesn't work, but i know from my own experience that you can't get it working. We finally tried a modular data router (the follow up of the fctc)and that work fine.

Leon
Leslie Martin
Frequent Advisor

Don't know if this is any use now since the original posting was a while back, but we had the same problem. We couldn't see a TL891 connected to a FCTC when using w23k miniport drivers but when we instaled the StorPort drivers everything appeared. One side effect of
using the StorPort Driver is that a server boot or reboot now takes approximately 20 minutes compared to 2 minutes before.