108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Write from Beginning of Tape

SOLVED
Go to solution
James Bentley_1

Write from Beginning of Tape

I have a few problems!

First, I have an HP surestore 718 drive and an Adaptec 2940UW card - both are SCSI SE. To get the system to boot correctly, I had to disable parity on the SCSI card. Is this normal?

Also, I have about 20 tapes that were "formatted" 40/80 drive and I need to reformat for the 35/70 drive in the autoloader. How do I perform a "Write from Beginning of Tape" command with veritas backup exec? Is there any third party (free would be nice) software that can format these tapes for me in windows?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

first, I think you may have some problem with cable or terminator, try witt differents one, and try also to reset your hba to default value (CTLR-A) and you can try to set the communication in narrow mode to see if the highest part of the bus may be the cause of your problem.

Degauss the tape would be a solution, this action will cancell all previous format on the tape itself, you can found on the web some company offering this service
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

download library and tapetools from hp's website
this is free and you can format tapes and test your drive and other things with this free utility

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=406731&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=406729&prodTypeId=12169

Andy
James Bentley_1

It was a bent pin on the terminator - I did have to change it to narrow mode, but parity works.

I downloaded the tools and I'm all set. Thanks guys.