1751966 Members
4515 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Write protected

Jack Sigafoos
Occasional Contributor

Write protected

I have tried to schedule a new tape backup session but have been unsucessful so far. The report message I keep getting is: Unattended Action: Default response "Cancel" selected at: This media is write protected. Remove the write protection or insert another media to continue.

Then the backup job ends a few seconds after it started. I have been using these tapes and have never before had this message. How can I remove the "write protection"?
3 REPLIES 3
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

what kind of tape do you have? Usually there is a tab in front of the tape where it goes into the drive
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Jack Sigafoos
Occasional Contributor

The tape is an HP4429. I moved the tab to the unlocked position and will try it that way tonight.

I noticed that all 5 of the daily tapes I have been using had the locking tab in the locked position. Curious, I may not have been getting a backup (?)
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

you should always get a message when a tape is write protected. In your case, if the drive is external and stands on it's side, it is possible for these little tabs to slide down into the lock position when you insert the tape
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"