3163 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Wrong tape size - Ultrium 960 autoloader

Peter H├╢nigschnabel
Occasional Advisor

Wrong tape size - Ultrium 960 autoloader

Hi
The Ultrium 960 LTO3 Autoloader doesn't determine correct size of LTO3 tape's. Tapes are formatted with a size of 100GB instead of 400GB. Changing the size to 400GB won't work, same result, only 100GB are available.
LTO drive an autoloader are on latest firmware.
Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10
avik
Valued Contributor

if this autoloader has a barcode reader, you have to suffix the correct density with the barcode. most of the barcode reader by default read them as a LTO1 media only.
btw, what method your using to check the available size of the media ?
Gilles Cadrin
Trusted Contributor

Is this with Data Protector ?

By Default the statistic will always show 100 gigs until you reach the end of the media .. This is STRICKLY for Satistics which are bogus

If Using DP 5.5 with the latest Media Agent, Add the variable

OB2CHECKMACAPACITY=1 in the omnirc file of the media agent hosts ..

The variable goes into the omnirc file

DP_HOME\omnirc ( No extensions for windows )
on HPUX and Solaris, it's under /opt/omni/.omnirc file )

So basically the media statistics will not be guessed by DP, BUt will be returned by the LTO drive instead .. Note the space is always reported in native capacity mode.

Also this only work for LTO Technology

Best regards

Gilles
Dylan W
Advisor

What backup program are you using? If this is a 1/8 ultrium 960 autoloader, there will not be a barcode reader.
Peter H├╢nigschnabel
Occasional Advisor

I am using Data Protector 6.0.

Dylan W
Advisor

Hi Peter

Are you able to write over 100GB of data to the tapes in Data Protector? (Software support is available at 1800 474 6836)

Hope this helps

Dylan
Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor

Can you try to take a backup of more than 200GB using this media and check. Because the statistics shown are bogus most of the times. If you are able to backup more that 250 or 300GBof data into a single tape then there should not be any problem. and even the ststistics may change for this media after the backup.
Regards

Raj

How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!
Peter H├╢nigschnabel
Occasional Advisor

Yes, it is possible to back up more than 100GB!
seems to be a problem of data protector 6.0.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The problem is NOT backing up MORE than 100GB. We all know, or should know by know that DP reports LTO2 and 3 tapes as 100GB.

The problem is, we WANT to see DP report them as 200/400 respectively.

I have the same issue, and as a consultant I know the situation and can live with it. My customer on the other hand WANTS to see "400GB for his LTO3 tapes.

Supposedly, DP6 was to fix this issue, but it seems it is still lingering around. Will the DP5.5 fix work for DP6? I guess I can try and find out and report.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Ok. I have a fix for the viewing of the tape format size, but it is not fully tested.

Since the default size of the Ultrium Media Class is 100GB, you need to override the vaule and specify 400GB.

I did this on a Linux Cell Manager so I would expect it to be similar on HP-UX and Solaris and maybe only slightly more different on Windows.

In the /etc/opt/omni/server/options/global file, scroll all the way down to the section where HP lists the default values for each type of media.

Under that section, add a line (or edit if already there) to tell DP the default...

MC_13=1 36 250 410000000 4

I would think the line could go anywhere in the file, but I put it in the same section for sainness purposes.

Again, this is not fully tested, but the reported format size IS 400.39GB.

Also, if you have a mix of media, I am not sure how this will play out. I think you can just format your LTO2 or 1 media and "Specify" the lower size, but I do not have any to test out.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)