StoreEver Tape Storage
1753531 Members
5297 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: can not configure a tape library

israel_2

can not configure a tape library

I have connected a tape library HP A4853A to a N4000 server running HP-UX 11.x.
On the ioscan ,i can see the special files for the tape drives but I can not see any device file for the control device (the picker).
I have laready rebuilt the kernel with the drivers (sctl,spt and SCHGR).
I think it might be an SCSI conflict with another device.
Therefore,I have changed the SCSI ID for the tape library (on the frot panel) four times.
But it's still not working.

If someone could help me.

thanks for advance.

PS:I sent also the ioscan if it can help someone
laurent Israel
6 REPLIES 6
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

There is doc KBAN00000190 that details the steps involved with configuring a tape drive in HPUX 10.x and 11.x - this includes info regarding the picker and testing of the picker.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

I know you said you added the drivers to the kernel and recreated the kernel.
Although in looking at your attached file....I only saw stape. Did you load 'spt' and 'schgr'?
After all drivers are loaded run ioscan again...now did you go back and make sure the robotics controller is connected to the hardware path in the kernel. I find that usually I have had to do this manually and then rebuild again.
I'll give you an example from connecting our DLT8000. Hardware path=2/44.0.0

I edited the /stand/build/system file (yes make backups first..). And here under Kernel Device Info I added the following:

driver 2/44.0.0 spt (I used spt for my DLT)

Now go back and using this system file, rebuild your kernel.

Just a thought,
Israel_3

thank you for your response .
I have already installed the driver into the kernel.
but,I can not even see the hardware path of the control device (the picker) when using the ioscan command !
However the special files for the tape drives has beeen created during the boot process.
This is something really strange.

thanks anyway.

laurent Israel
laurent Israel
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

The driver for the picker is usually schgr.
In the ioscan, does the device for the picker show as UNCLAIMED? Are there any UNCLAIMED devices in the ioscan?

The driver to use will depend on the type of SCSI card in use and the driver for it.

The doc KBAN00000190 details all of the info you will need to configure the picker and to test the picker via command line.

It is very detailed and complete and should allow you to get the picker going in an hour.

Another possibility - is the SCSI port on which the picker is attached to working?
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

Get hardware help.

Things that come to my mind are things like a bad fiber cable, bad port on your fc mux, and so forth.

I have never touched an FC Mux, but in a fiber hub, it was possible to reverse the fibers, effectively sending nothing.

Typical scsi issues include loose cables, termination, and so forth.

Or the library may not be configured properly.

If it is not showing up in an i/o scan, then look for connectivity and configuration issues.

Good Luck.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Israel_3

Finally,we have found how to solve this problem.
It was like some of you told me,a SCSI problem.
the scsi cable used to connect the control device from the MUX to the Tape library did not work properely.
To be sure I replaced it by another one,
And we could see the picker (with ioscan) right away.
The last step was to create manually the device file for the picker (using mknod).

So,thanks everybody for you help.

take care.

laurent Israel
laurent Israel