StoreEver Tape Storage
1752591 Members
3046 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

cannot find DAT72gig tape installation instructions.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

cannot find DAT72gig tape installation instructions.

I have a busted tape dive that LOOKS hot swappable.

I contacted HP. They sent me a new drive and said the installation instructions would be in the box.

They were wrong.

The instructions were not in the box. Instead it said to www.hp.com/go/support/.

After an hour of failed attempts to get anything related to the words "installation" and "DAT72 gig tape drive". I gave up and sent an email back to hp complaining about it.

Since that was 3 days ago, do any of you guys know where I can REALLY get the installation instructions for HP C7438A DAT72 gig tape drive, that connected via lvd scsi to an rp3410 running hpux 11.23?

a little more detail........

My current concern is that there are jumper settings on the new and old drive. I cannot see the jump settings because the drive is enclosed in a metal box that allows it to go in the rack.

The broken drive is actually working, except for the eject button. I can eject using: mt -f /dev/rmt/0m offl
I will not pull it out until I get more information. For all I know, pulling the drive will crash the box. I am just being conservative.

Lack of answer from anybody means I wait until the next maintenance day. I replace the tape then. I TRY to see the jumpers to verify they are the same on the old and new drives. I boot up the box with the new dive into single user mode. I test out the drive. If it works, I keep it in, and reboot to full mode. If it fails, I call hp again.

steve
14 REPLIES 14
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: cannot find DAT72gig tape installation instructions.

Steve,

I didn't dig far enough to see if this gets as detailed as jumper settings, but here is the resource guide for the DAT72:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/en/en/storage/tape_storage/resource_library/dat72scsi.html

Pete

Pete
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

well.....
that is the entrance to the mouse clicking jungle.

I just tried and failed....again.... to get anything that tells me how to install. I hit another dead end that says "We're sorry. We cannot find the document you are looking for."

I got close on Friday. I found a document that talks about the configuration switch settings.
h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Documment.jsp? blah blah blah prodSeriesID=316234тИз prodTypeI.... then it cut off.

Just nothing that says "put box in hole."
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

The link is: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=316234&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=lpg51068

And the switch setting is:

Switch number
System type 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Default and most PC applications On On Off On On On On On
HP Alpha systems On On Off On On On On Off
HP-UX systems On On Off On On On On On
IBM RS6000 workstations On On Off On On Off Off On
SCO/PC UNIX systems On On Off On On On On On
Silicon Graphics systems On On Off On On Off Off On
SUN systems On On On On On Off Off On
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

IF I could get to those jumpers. IF I am supposed to access those jumpers. Then this document would have some meaning. I already printed this out.

That document is missing a few things.

1. I can't see the jumper settings without taking drive out of its metal box. Do I need to open the metal box after all?
It looks like YES. But it looks like a special screwdriver is needed to unscrew it. Why would HP send me a tape drive without this special screwdriver. (or even mentioning that I need it).

2. I obviously can't see the jumper settings of the tape drive that is powered up and running on the production computer. Can I pull out that drive without powering down the computer.
It looks like....there is no answer.

3. I can't tell if the drive is really hot swappable. The ONLY thing I found from digging in the site is "HP recommends you read the installation instructions to verify the tape drive is indeed hot swappable."

This is silly. If there was an installation document you would think it might answer these trivial questions. Perhaps they are too trivial? Too bad they are NOT answered no matter how trivial.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

What is the replacement part number of your drive?

e.g. A1234-69xxx

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Torsten,
Nothing is in the format A1234-69xxx
ioscan -fnC tape returns the name C7438A.
The cardboard box label says it is is part number 393493-001 and hp part number DW012-692-1
It plugs into a tape array 5300 factory rack.
and the support agreement calls it a Q1524C HP Storage Works DAT 72 Array Module
Painted on the front of the drive is "HP Storage Works DAT 72"

But I'd call it a DAT72 gig tape drive.

Tingli,
Those instructions look darned close. There is 3 leds on those instructions. My tape drive has only 1 led.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>>"It plugs into a tape array 5300 factory rack. "

This is the key.

Just make sure the tape drive is not in use, pull it out and plug the new drive in.

That's it.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

If this device is going in a Tape Array 5300, so the settings are on the back of the Tape Array.
Just swapp it when there is no activity on tha bus, and reboot the host

Marino