108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

colorado tape and xp

David Mackett
Occasional Contributor

colorado tape and xp

Re-installation

Installing the shuttle mpd driver

Follow the instructions to quick install the shuttle mpd driver and SHARSHTL.SYS. The instructions and all the necessary files can be found on the HP Colorado Backup II v9.1 CD or in the folder where the downloaded CBII v9.1 software was unzipped.

Locate the \MISC\epatdrvr folder and copy the files (EPATAPNT.MPD and SHARSHTL.SYS) per the instructions.

Click Start, then Run. Type in CMD and click OK.
A DOS window will pop up. Install the drivers by typing in the following command:

sharshtl -install epatapnt.

Press Enter.

When the command is finished executing, close the DOS window.

I am trying to install the external Colorado 14gb Tape in XPP based on the above HP instructions but no where can this information be found.
hi
4 REPLIES 4
Dan_139
Advisor

Re: colorado tape and xp

An external Colorado/Travan drive on WinXP is not supported by HP. No version of CBII software will work on XP either. CBII v9.1 is for WinME only!
However you may get the drive to work by using the win2000 drivers from HP's web site and download the backup program "Backup My PC" at www.stompinc.com
knowlegde is key to what?
David Mackett
Occasional Contributor

Then why does HP put these instructions on their site. Very poor support. Thanks
hi
Jim Ryan_1

Dan, you are dead wrong about 9.1 only working on ME.
Jim Ryan_1

Dan, apologies - Having found some other forums and pages, i see where that comes from - but I have been using 9.1 on Win2k without any problems until just recently. Last fall I restored a hard drive that I had been regularly backing up from Win2k when it died and was replaced.

Now (following second drive death in less than a year), when I try to access a tape, it reads the tape ID and then just hangs. It won't complete a media ID or a device view refresh.

When I got 9.1, I had to pay HP for it and it was the only version they were selling at the time - 9.0 was not an option and 9.1 was listed as being Win2k compatible.

Sure wish I could find the problem now! Same PC just a new hard drive and all of a sudden, can get the damned drive to work.

Tapediag says its fine.

If the download page would work, I'd give 9.0 a shot but at the moment, the HP site is all squirelly and I can't download anything.