1748180 Members
4197 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

configuring mapping on a NSR E1200-320

Landrew09
Advisor

configuring mapping on a NSR E1200-320

I suspect I need to re-configure mapping on a pair of NSR E1200-320 routers that are in a single MSL6060. This librariy had been in use in the past but with a different host (backup server). The backup server function has shifted to another server and I'm a bit rusty on mapping these routers. I have the user guide but need a little more help. Can anyone give me the basic requirements for configuring such a router? I realize this is a bit broad in scope, I'll try to present a picture...
I can "see" the NSRs from the backup server so the FC zoning seems correct, but I see no tape drives when I have four Ultrium 4 drives connected. I have updated the FW on the NSRs and can see the tape drives via the NSR interfaces. I seem to have four maps available (Indexed, Auto Assigned, SCC Map, and Port 0 Device Map) but am unclear how to proceed with maps. One of my (many) questions is what "host" is referred to in the map interface? Is a host a server or is referringto something else?
Thanks for any guidance.
5 REPLIES 5
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: configuring mapping on a NSR E1200-320

Landrew09
Advisor

Thanks, but I already have the User Guide, which does little more than define components etc. What is really needed is a quick start guide to help admins like me to get the NSRs configured.
A little background- When this NSR was first deployed we had some help from an HP technician who came on-site, he actually knew nothing about NSRs so we called HP support (which I could do again).
I'd rather figure this issue out myself as I will have to support it in the future. I'm documenting as I go along...
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Use a browser, go to mapping, modify current mapping and modify the host WWN. Save and activate.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Landrew09
Advisor

I just reached the same conclusion and have just mofied my mappings. It seems as though several others have had the same type of questions on the past. A quick google search of NSR E1200 mapping shows many similar questions being asked in HP forums.

For me, I would prefer to have an understandng of the settings required to provision a NSR from start to finish. Here's an intial effort, please add or make changes as needed.
1. Install supported HBA(s) and zone correctly (i.e. use a seperate zone set for this purpose).
2. Install NSR and add to same zone set.
3. Configure mapping NSR mapping to include appropriate host (last 7-8 characters of WWN of host).
4. Cross fingers ;)
Landrew09
Advisor

OK, I can now "see" the drives & robot from the desired host after populating the "indexed" map. LT&T can connect and a firmware update proceeded normally. i read in an older HP forum post some concern about using this map to map devices. So I'm wondering if maybe there is a more appropriate mapping config. For example, shouldn't I be placing the relevant devices in the "Port 0 Device Map"?
Also, I seem to recall an HP storage tech mentioning something about the need to set persistent SCSI addresses so as not to confuse backup software.
Thanks to all for your assistance.