1748282 Members
3876 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: data protector express 3.5-sp2 (build 34497) log

Nicola Modugno

data protector express 3.5-sp2 (build 34497) log

Hi,
i have configured dpe to send a only-errors log after a backup job but i don't receive any logs via mail!!
I have a usb tape so the job takes about 6 hours. When i forgot to power on the tape the job ends with error and, only in this case, i receive the log via mail!
The "Email command" (to send information to email address) work properly too.
I supposed that it may be a connection problem in a range of time that is after 11PM (when the job starts) and before 8AM (when i arrive at office) but the internet connection have no problems (tried with a ping scheduled task). I tried changing the mail server but they are correct and there are no problems "telnetting" them!
In the "Administration" -> "Messages" section i see (for every day i don't receive log) "
05/30/2008 7:14:17 AM sk: Unable to output log Error 51: Socket failure".
What does it mean?? I'm not able to find how-tos or error description for that...
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Nick
PS: Excuse me for my English!!
1 REPLY 1
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Re: data protector express 3.5-sp2 (build 34497) log

Hi Nicola:

You should test your email notification with a simple short test backup job first.

FIRST CONFIGURE THE EMAIL NOTIFICATION FOR THE DPX STORAGE MANAGEMENT DOMAIN:

1. From the Administration desk bar, select Configure Domain Server.
2. Enter SMTP email settings for your storage domain as follows:

A. SMTP mail server: Enter the name or IP address of the mail server.
B. Port number: Enter the appropriate SMTP port. The Port number default is 25, which is usually the correct value. If you are using a proxy server, you may have to enter a different Port number.
C. From address: Enter the email address to be entered in the From field for each job log email. This email address must be valid.

NOTE:
Some SMTP mail servers require that the From address be a valid user@host address; other SMTP mail servers ignore this field.

Next setup your backup job to notify you by your email address.