4130 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: drive "device busy" in one machine, but ok in other

stephen peng
Valued Contributor

drive "device busy" in one machine, but ok in other

dear all,
i've got a weird problem.there is a drive in 10/180 library,which is in a SAN enviroment. after i load a tape into the drive, i try to offline the tape in one machine so i can unload the tape, it said "device busy". but i repeat the same procedure in other machine, which is in the same SAN with the machine i mentioned before, and it is ok, not error messages. so what can this be? i think i could conclude that the library was ok, right?

thank you for your reply.
5 REPLIES 5
Jesus Fdez.
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Do You have the same library driver on both servers?

Thanks,
Jesus Fdez
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

hi Jesus,
the library is in the SAN enviroment, all the servers are connecting into the same SAN.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

It sounds like one of the servers has reserved the drive so that server can use the drive but the second server won't be able to send control commands to the drive even if the drive is idle.

You can test for that case but it isn't easy. Probably the best would be to power down the library (or just the drive) and the server that can send commands to the drive then power up just the library (or drive). The second server should be able to use the drive if the first server hasn't reserved it.
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

hi Curtis,
the truth is all other servers could handle drive 0 in the library, except one server. here handle only means that mt command could apply to that drive.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

HI Stephen,

Curtis gave you the most common answer to this situation, in your case, you may also have another situation (may be)
if you have a windows server, some time, if you do not have persistent binding, it may be that the drive enumaration change, so if you try to access drive 0, your command can go to drive 5 for example, and then, if the specific drive is doing something, you will get the "device busy"
You can have several situations causing this behavior, further investigations may be needed.