108789 Solutions
New Discussion

esl cleaning slot issue

elscleaningslot
Occasional Contributor

esl cleaning slot issue

Hello All,

Did anyone configured a cleaning slots on a ESL G3 Tape library before 

Am trying to create cleaning slots but cant select on the slots please let me know if you have done in the past.

Thankyou

1 REPLY 1
Chris_Hillier
HPE Pro

Re: esl cleaning slot issue

There are two ways to do this, depending on if you want the library to perform the cleaning or if you want your host application to perform the cleaning. 

If you want your library to perform the cleaning,  you need to have at least one free storage magazine that can be assigned as a cleaning magazine.  Then, perform the following steps (note that these steps are also outlined in the User Guide).

1. With the Physical Library selected, navigate to Setup > Library Settings > Cleaning Slots... and the Cleaning Slots Configuration dialog will load. 

2. Within this dialog, find the free storage magazine that will be assigned as a cleaning magazine. 

3. Select this free magazine and select Menu > Assign magazine for cleaning. 

4. Repeat as needed for addition cleaning magazines.  

5. If the library has firmware older than 680H, place cleaning media in the I/E station of the library and then, while viewing the Import dialog, select Menu > Import <barcode label> as cleaning media.  Alternately, you can import all media in that I/E station magazine by selecting Menu > Import all tapes in magazine as cleaning media.  

If the library has firmware newer than 680H, place cleaning media in the I/E station of the library and then, select Operations > Import Cleaning Media.  

Note that Automatic Drive Cleaning will also be enabled on each partition that will be using these cleaning cartridges.  This setting can be changed in the Partition configuration dialog.  

If you want your host application to perform the drive cleaning, you simply need to import the appropriate cleaning media into the library and then configure your application to use said media for cleans.  The partition configuration for Automatic Drive Cleaning should be disabled in this scenario.  

Let me know if you need any further information to help with this.

I am a HPE Employee