4366 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: help, problem when move my DLT 8000 to windows xp

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve_318

help, problem when move my DLT 8000 to windows xp

We have an old DLT 8000 tape drive on a HP-Unix based workstation. Now, I'm trying to install it on a windows based workstation. The new workstation is DELL Precision 650 with a LSI320 SCSI controller which supports Ultra320 SCSI and has an external SCSI slot. But the SCSI controller can not find the tape device when it boots up. Please help me?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
BR19682
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi there.
AFAIK the DLT8000 needs a HVD - SCSI controler.
( Adaptec 2944 FWD ).
This is just a little difference to what you got. Perhaps you try to get a second hand controler somewhere.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Steve_318

Thank you, Alexander.

So you mean the new Ultra320 SCSI controller is not compatible with the DLT 8000? I have thought the SCSI is backward compatible.

It seems I have to buy another SCSI controller. My boss will blame me wasting his money. :-(

BTW, our tapes were all made on HP_UX using tar or SAM. Are there any corresponding tools in Windows XP system?

//Bow.
BR19682
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there.
Nothing to do with backward compatibility.
Your SCSI320 interface works LowVoltageDifferential ( LVD ), the DLT needs a HighVoltageDifferential ( HVD ) interface
( also called Fast / Wide / Differential --> FWD ).
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
BR19682
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there.
Just going for your tools.
SAM uses fbackup. I don't believe, that there is something for Windows to get the data off the tapes. In Hummingbird's ExCeed software (Xterminal software) you will find a tar.
But you should look at free- or shareware servers to find something for free or less money. Perhaps WinRAR does the job, but i am not sure.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
Steve_318

I appreciate your help.

My concern is, if the data format of tape is different between HP-UX and windows xp, I can not read the tar files to my harddisk in windows xp system. If I can get the tar files, I can use winzip to extract them. I???m sure there are plenty of software can extract the tar files.

Now, my only solution is keeping the old HP-UX workstation running as a file server, and connecting the tape drive on it. Sound complex and inefficient.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

As Alexander said you can use AHA-2944UW to connect drive, to untar you can use SpiralComm Wintar SCSI from http://www.spiralcomm.com/ (evaluation version is for free)
Eugeny