StoreEver Tape Storage
1753516 Members
5225 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

how can I use DDS3 tape in a DDS2 driver?

how can I use DDS3 tape in a DDS2 driver?

When I insert a used DDS3 tape, the DDS2 driver will reject it.
If I use a new DDS3 tape in a DDS2 driver, it will be used as a DDS2 tape, how can I use it as a DDS3 tape again in a DDS3 driver.
How can I use the compress function of DDS driver?
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: how can I use DDS3 tape in a DDS2 driver?

Hi,

You can't use a DDS3 tape in a DDS2 drive, it will reject the tape. A DDS3 drive will read/write to DDS2 tape, using backward compatibility.

The DDS drives use software compression from the program being used, fbackup, tar etc.

150M tape is for DDS4, DDS4 drives will read and write to 150M, 125M and 120M
125M tape is for DDS3, DDS3 drives will read and write to 125M, 120M
120M tape is for DDS2, DDS2 drives will read and write to 120M, 90M

Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

As Michael said, a DDS3 tape will NOT work in a DDS2 drive. It is not a matter of the software driver you use, it is a matter of the hardware itself. The DDS2 drive will just not accept the DDS3 or DDS4 tapes.
Shahul
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

U can't use DDS3 tape in DDS2. It is nothing to do with system or driver. U just power on DDS2 and insert DDS3 tape..It will not even sit inside. Normally it comes out. DDS2 can't recognize higher version of tapes.

Best of luck
Shahul
Nick Wickens
Respected Contributor

If you are in a multi-DDS environment and you regularly transfer tapes between the two drives - you can drop the "abilities" of your DDS3 drive to that of a DDS2 by setting up an aditional device file that uses the DDS2 driver rather than the default DDS3. You will still be able to write and read as a DDS3 by using the "best" device file but if you write a tape on the DDS3 using a DDS2 device file you will be able to read that tape on a DDS2 drive.

For example we have mainly DLT7000 drives but recent purchases have been for DLT8000 so we just drop the 8000 down to 7000 using this method.

There have been several posts on this procedure placed on the forums so a quick search should help you locate it.
Hats ? We don't need no stinkin' hats !!

Turn over your DDS3 and DDS2 cartridges. In the corner on the other side from the write protect you will see the holes that engage the sensing switches. Note that HP is hard and fast on these holes If they don't indicate a DDS2 or less on a DDS2 it will spit them out! This is also true on a C1536 which spits out 120s since it only takes 90s or less. Some Drives - like Archive/Conner/Seagate DDS1s Will take 120s but they play with theformat and produce a 2490 meg tape that is not readable in other manufacturers drives! In a worst case senerio - You have your data on a Bastard tape - when you have to get up and running. You are being pound foolish if you are trying to do this. If you have a zillion tapes - buy a DDS3. If you have a few put them away in a good storage area until you get one!
Don't fix what ain't broke!