5922 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to do OBDR with ultrium 215

Sandra de Boer

how to do OBDR with ultrium 215

I want to know how I can use OBDR.
What do I have to do to use this.
I tried holding the eject button during booting of the system. But the OBDR does not start. When I use the 4 disaster recovery diskettes of Tapeware it works fine. But I want to use the OBDR method.

Can anybody tell me how to...

With kind regards.

Sandra de Boer
4 REPLIES 4
William W. Torrey

I have attached a document that describes OBDR starting on page 18.

Here is the URL that might be helpful...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50133&locale=en_US&taskId=8415&taskName=discover+%26+use+your+product&prodSeriesId=42915&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesName=hp+surestore+ultrium+215+drives&docId=40374

Make sure that you have a tape drive firmware revison that supports OBDR.

You also need a backup application that supports making a OBDR tape.
David Zielezna

as has already been said, make sure your tape drive firmware supports obdr, and also make sure that your scsi firmware allows booting from cd, and that you can boot from the scsi controller at all.

Tapeware does(should) support OBDR out of the box(if it came with your drive), so that's not exactly an issue.

If your tape device is external, when you wish to run OBDR turn off both the computer and the tape device. hold down the button on the tape drive and turn it on. when the leds start going mad release the button and power up the pc.

If the device is internal, power down the computer. hold down the button on the tape device and power on. once the leds go mad, release the button on the tape drive...

Let us know how you go.
Sandra de Boer

Thank you for your answer. OBDR works now with tapeware. I have to hold down the eject button when I turn on the system. Then I have to reboot the system and the system starts booting from tape.
Mark Greenberg

The URL in this thread no longer goes to anywhere helpful. May I have the updated URL, please?

Thanks,

Mark Greenberg
mgreenberg@ssci-inc.com