108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp ltt ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
John_602
Advisor

hp ltt ?

Does hp library and tape tools support fibre connected tape libraries.
My TL895 sits on a SAN. I have three fiber tape controllers that are connected to a 12 fiber storage switch. The library and 2 drives run off tape controller 1, two other drivers run off tape controller 2 and the last two drives run off tape controller 3. The server is connected to the san via a fiber HBA card. When I run hp ltt it sees the library and the drives but once I click on the library it scans all the devices and hangs on device 6. I have removed device 6 and then it hangs on device 5. I have tried different fiber controllers, changed the cables, update the firmware on the controllers, and the drivers but it still stops responding.
Any ideas
13 REPLIES 13
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

What OS are you running?

Can you send us the event logs? They are the files "EventLog*.ltt" in the logs subfolder of the installation directory.

Send them to ltt_team@hp.com.

If you are on windows, you could try using the "ASPI I/O" mode (selectable on the splash screen, if you selected the ASPI I/O mode during installation).
The journey IS the reward.
John_602
Advisor

I am running Windows 2000 sp4.
I have tried the ASPI option with the same results.
Today I removed both the tape controller1's and replaced it with a tape controller II.
The configuration now is Library, drives 0 -3 on the first tape controller II and drives 4 -5 on the second tape controller II.
I re-ran ltt but still have the same problem.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Send the event logs to ltt_team@hp.com (if you haven't already).
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

John,
The event logs (2/9, 2/10, 2/16, 2/18) all show the same thing.

---
Finds 15 slot library and both drives.
Finds 895 and 6 TZ89 drives.
Attempts to open library. Gets 2 timeouts on mode sense commands to the library (I think the timeout is too short).

Then it opens all 6 drives. The last message is "Reading data from drive #6 of library".

The event log doesn't provide enough granularity to indicate whether it finishes or not. From your description, it hangs right there.
---

I don't know if the mode sense command failures have anything to do with the hangs

Can you be specific on what HBAs, and switch, and what router you are using?

You say "tape controllers" and not router, so I would guess you have either the old Compaq "Fibre Channel Tape Controller" or "Fibre Channel Tape Controller II" bridges.

There is one additional test you can run that will help us debug this. Go into the "preferences" dialog under Options, and enable "Add I/O history to file". Then select the library, and let it fail.

Email the resultant event log to ltt_team@hp.com.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

John,

One other thing to try.

You were clicking on the library (which opens the library and all drives).

Can you click on each of the drives individually and open them, and view support tickets on them?

Also, what OS are you running?

If it's win2k or better, is Windows Removable Storage Manager and your backup application/services disabled?
John_602
Advisor

Removable storage and backup software is disabled.
2 Fibre Channel Tape Controller II
1 Fiber Channel Storage Hub 12
1 Compaq StorageWorks Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter /P in each server.

I have tried just clicking on one of the drives and it still hangs. I have also removed the last two drives and controller from the SAN and still have the same problem.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

John,
I didn't notice any logs sent in to the ltt_team mailbox (but I may not have recogized the email).

If you could rerun LTT, go to the "preferences" menu under options, and then check the "add I/O history to event log" option, that will help us debug it.

After making this setting, then click on the drive. If it hangs, then abort the application. Collect the EventLog.ltt file from the LTT logs folder, and send it to ltt_team@hp.com (attention Dave).
John_602
Advisor

Sorry Dave, I haven't had a chance to rerun LTT in the last couple of days. I should have a chance on Friday.
Could a bad tape drive cause the ltt to stop responding?
I think that tape drive 6 is bad. I should have a new one on friday and when I change the drive out I will rerun LTT with I/O output option.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> Could a bad tape drive cause the ltt to stop responding?
I think that tape drive 6 is bad.

From what you described (the problem moving from one drive to the next, and using different controllers), ot doesn't sound like an obvious hardware problem.

The TL series libraries have not been extensively tested with HP LTT, so it is possible that it's an LTT integration problem.

Do the drives otherwise work with your backup application, or are you having trouble there as well?