Sven-Olof Ros├йn

hp storageworks DAT 40 not working

Hallo experts.
I have just bought this equipment:
PROLIANT ML350T G3 XE-2.8G (311525-421)
HP STORAGEWORKS DAT40 LVD 20/40INT
hp dds-4 data cartridge (C5718A)

Installed Storageworks tape driver on:
Integrated Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter (with SCSI ID 6 on Channel A)

Installed 2 Mirror disks on:
Smart Array 641 Controller

Windows 2003 Standard Edition with all updates

Installed the driver that come along with the storageworks and it seems to work fine in devicemanager.

I have tried three different software to access the media in some way and getting problems with them all.
(with and without "Removal storage"-service, with and without activated driver in devicemanager)

Here is the software and there symptoms:

HP STORAGEWORKS LIBRARY AND TAPE TOOLS
It freezes sometimes, and sometimes it give me a message:
"An error occurred while the diagnostic function was started for the selected device.."
If I try direct after it freezes when status-windows "Please wait" showing "Reading data from drive"
And two times I really get in and could performe some write-tests. But when I Click the Test-button in the toolbar it stops with an messageswindows that tell me to mail HP because some exceptions has occurred and the program quit.

THE BUILT IN BACKUP PROGRAM FROM MICROSOFT
No problem to write to tape, it goes fast and seems very good.
When trying to restore it├В┬┤s possible to navigate in the filestructure on the tape but when I restore it tells me to put in the next medium with an different medium number but the same name? When cancel it show an message that that the device report an error when "mounting media"

TAPEWARE (stopped or uninstalled when tried other software)
Format media is possible
Naming media is possible
Backup media is not possible
Error nr 504
"The device has aborted a command. This may mean either problems with the device or problems with the commands being sent or the sequence in which they are being sent. If this error occurs regularly or frequently, please contact technical support."

Is it so simple that my media is corrupt?
Could it help with some other software?

Please help me.

Best regards
Sven-Olo
5 REPLIES 5
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: hp storageworks DAT 40 not working

Hi,

It seems you are having communication problem, check you cable, for bent pin or any damage, check if you have a valid terminator at the end of the scsi cable, try to change the cable.

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Sven-Olof Ros├йn

Thanks for your quick answer. I├В┬┤m not that good in SCSI, but I'm using the last connector of three on the cable. The two connector in the middle of the cable is plugged/not terminated with two plastic shield lock.
The storagework has an little switch that terminate the chain.
Shouldn't the storagework be connected to the last connection on the cable?
And should the middle connectors be terminate
meloni
Honored Contributor

any scsi cable (scsi chain) need to be "terminated" at both end.

usualy the HBA provvide automatic termination on his side, then you should terminate the scsi chain on the other side.

DAT 40 do not provvide embedded termination, the jumper you may see is related to "Power termination" that is totaly different than terminating a scsi bus (this provvide a +5 Volts to hook up the power line of the bus for passive terminators, and in your case you do not need it).

HP recomend to use scsi cable with build in terminator (a scsi cable with a small black or grey box at the end)

So you have to connect your cable to the hba, connect the dat in the middle connector, and put a terminator on the last connector of the cable, or use a cable with the terminator already present at the end.
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Sven-Olof Ros├йn

Thanks. I shall try this and then terminated this question with a smile I hope :-)

Best regards.
Sven-Olof
Sven-Olof Ros├йn

Thanks again Marino.
This issue is now solved. It was the termination that was needed.
Best regards
Sven-Olof