108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp surestore dat 24i problemS!!!

SOLVED
Go to solution
siba_1

hp surestore dat 24i problemS!!!

HI
I use a dat 24i drive on a win 2000 server, when I load a dds 3 tape, it take about 3 or 4 minutes before I can see it under the storage media in the console of "computer management"
beside even that I use the same procedure every time, sometimes the back up is successful sometimes no, in the last case, i don't get neither the success message nor errors in the event viewer!!!
NB: I use the backup of win 2000 (under system tools)
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Try checking drive with LTT http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
Generate support ticket and look into it to find if there're any recommendations.
Also please check SCSI bus - cables, terminator(s). Take a look which controllers HP recommends to use http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50063.html
Eugeny
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi,
3 or 4 minuts may be ncessery for Removable storage in order to found the cartridge, that's ok.
In order to the backup, you can also chek at the backup.log file that will record the backup activity, first set the "log all" flag when you create the backup batch, then analyze the log and check where the sstem hang, it may ne the tape is not ready, it may be some files are hanging, it may be some mapped fiels are not available...
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Is this *only* on DDS3 tapes? If DDS4 work well, then my guess is that it's a firmware issue on the drive - if it was an adapter issue, you'd probably see the same type of problem on either.

Make sure you're on the latest firmware or drivers for both SCSI card and drive. If there's still a problem, check with brand new DDS3 tapes to see if the same issue occurs, then contact the drive manufacturer and ask them if there's been any similar errors reported (questions like this tend to be much more useful than just "my drive takes a long time to load" - going there with the facts and asking specific questions makes it simpler for them to get answers).

For the backups, if you get no success or error messages, then it's likely that the process is hung in some manner. Does the backup process still exist?
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.
Allan_24
Regular Advisor

If you have an update firmware or software driver and still the error exist, check hardware connection such as SCSI cable (replaced a new one for isolation), use proper internal terminator connect it in a standard loop (if the drive is equipped with this settings.)Also check your server air flow condition, make sure your server or pc utilized a proper ventilation (internally), coz sometimes removable internal drives that is tape in particular are sensitive with this kind of condition.Another way is to provide another pc for testing then install your tape here and observe if the same error happen again. This settings will let you to know if the problem is on tape or not.
"You should be working"