StoreEver Tape Storage
1753563 Members
6102 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: is it STILL not possible to share DLT between servers.

SOLVED
Go to solution
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The method I showed you is actually a very neat way to configure tape drives under DP. I use the logical drive attached to the database server for the backups and then use the logical device attached to my Cell Server to make the copies of the backups during the day. That way the database server is not loaded during the day while the copies are underway. I've used this configuration on many tape drives under OB2/DP2 for > 6 years w/o a single problem --- and yes, Mr. HP Goodwrench has been onsite to replace drives w/o a single complaint.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

The reason they don't want mixed media types on the same bus is probably because of SCSI resets. Some devices handle them without problem, some don't. Specifically, if a disk gets a reset during a write, the response doesn't come back, the head is pointed at the right point on disk again and the block is written correctly. A reset on tape will rewind the tape to the beginning, at which point it will keep writing (being a serial device) and overwrite whatever you've already written.

Shouldn't be a problem to cable though. Set up for SCSI reserve as well - tells you in SAM (sts_....something or other)
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.
Tom Pojatina

Hi Steve:

I might have a device which will solve your troubles by allowing you to connect multiple systems (in your case) 2 host sustems to the SDLT. It is called the Omni64 from LXI Corp an HP Development Partner http://lxicorp.com/partnersdp.htm .

If you have interest please feel free to contact myself. The PDF that I have pertaining to the box is over 1MB and unfortunately it is unable to be attached.

Regards,
Tom