Valued Contributor

leds flash

all leds in my DLT 35/70 GB flash.
in insight manager the drive is good
10 REPLIES 10
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: leds flash

I have the same problem as well but cannot find anything on the Compaq site that refers to LED diagnostic codes. If you happen to find out what causes it could you email me.

Thanks

Steven.guillemet@umusic.com
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Got the same problem on 35/70 in a 5500R. Had the drive replaced; still does it! Just the (3) above the 'operate handle' on the right side. Unable to initialize the drive. Any ideas?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Having a similar problem.

Did you receive any help that you can share?

breznik_dave@timhortons.com
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Sounds like a lost leader, the tape is probably defective.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I agree with Gerry, take a peek inside the front door and inspect the leader. You may get lucky and find it undamaged.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I guess I'm not alone. Im getting the LED's flashing and it doesn't set the tape right On 2 tape drives). If anyone has any answers, please e-mail me at gdonaldson@charter.net otherwise, I will trash them!

Thanks!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I've had a similar problem, my 20/40 TZ88 (old DEC equipment)
The top three LEDs on the right side flash, I've tried different tapes
to no conclusion. What is a leader?

Thanks,
Joel
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

All the cases present in this discusion are lost leaders, generally caused by bad tapes . This issue is very easy to fix. Pop off plastic sheild , pull leader all the way out . There are 6 spools , three on the right hand side of read write head and three on the left. String the leader around the six spools and connect the end of the leader back to the rocker arm.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I had exactly the same with a 20/40 DLT drive last Friday.

It was also because the 'leader' (I expect that to be the plastic strip that pulls the tape onto the inside reel) was loose the drive. Taking the transparent plastic top of the rear part, showed that the hole in the tape leader that _should_ fall over the hook in the inside reel had torn/ripped/broken; i.e.: it was no longer able to wind the tape on the inside reel.

As an emergency solution I took my 'McGuyver'-Duck-tape, cut a very fine strip of it, to firmly reattach the tape to the inside reel. (You have put the tape inside the reel first, as when you put duck-tape on the leader before it won't fit through the opening on the inside reel any more where it is supposed to hook on to the pin)

Ofcourse this is only an emergency solution. My question is:
What is the spare-parts code for the strip, (It doesn't bare any markings) and/or how can I obtain a new one ????

I've got detailed pictures of what we did, mail me if you'd like to take a look at them.