1748051 Members
5103 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: looking for an little techinical knowledge

J. Martin_1
Occasional Contributor

looking for an little techinical knowledge

my client has an HP Dat24 drive in there file server and has out grown there backup capacity. They would like to increase the capacity by adding a second Dat Drive. Does the Tapeware software recognize other dat drives and allow them to be placed in a drive pool for tape spanning. Or is there an extenal autoloader I could place the current drive in to allow them to span more than one tape in an automated backup. I am considering addind a Seagate Dat drive at this time but would like to know if I will have to change backup softwares.

Any help is great.

Thanks,
J. Martin
3 REPLIES 3
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

If your client is going to buy a new drive I think it is better to buy a DAT 40 drive end replace the old DAT 24. This will back up almost twice compared with DAT 24, is much faster and backwards compatible with DAT 24.
J. Martin_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the thought but my issue is really with the software. The Dat24 they currently own came with HP Tapeware. I need to know what drives the software will recognize and if it will treat them as a drive pool? I could buy a Dat40 for a little more than another Dat24 but if I have to get backup software with it that will double the price which is not really a reasonable expense. ie add dat24 no use existing software at price of drive, replace w/ Dat40 bundle including new software is more at least 50% more expensive. I can even get a Dat24 w/ software that I know allows drive pooling for less than a Dat40 drive by itself. Slower yes but it is an unattended backup so time is not really the issue also I would have 8GB more space on two 24 tapes than on one 40 tape.

If anyone knows what the Tapeware software is cappable off please respond.

Thanks for the help,
J. Martin
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
There are several versions of TapeWare with different capabilitys (desktop, server, enterprise etc.) I dont know which version you use. Have a look at:
http://www.tapeware.com/
There you can find documentation, support matrix and other information.