1748169 Members
4209 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ltfs.exe: exit_event option

mjiggidy
Occasional Contributor

ltfs.exe: exit_event option

According to the verbose logging, LTFS Configuration Utility mounts a tape to Windows using the following command:

ltfs.exe P: -o devname=TAPE1 -d -o log_directory=C:\ProgramData\HPE\LTFS -o work_directory=C:\tmp\LTFS -o trace -d -o capture_index -o ro -o show_offline -oexit_event=FUSE_P:_EXIT

But check out that last option (-oexit_event=FUSE_P:_EXIT).  Is that a typo?  Shouldn't there be a space between -o and exit_event?  Also, what does -o exit_event=FUSE_P:_EXIT do? It's not documented in ltfs.exe -a, and in fact if I try to add that option (with or without the space) when I run ltfs.exe manually from the command line, the tape won't mount until I omit that argument.

The reason I ask is because I'm getting a delay of 8-15 minutes between clicking "Eject" in Cartridge Utilites and the tape actually ejecting, and I'm trying to track down the cause.

3 REPLIES 3
Amarjit_Y
HPE Pro

Yes, that's correct , Next version of software should address the delay and should be much faster .

Here is the link for HPE StoreOpen and Linear Tape File System (LTFS) Software - Installation and Configuration : https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04998409#N10783

Hope this additional info will helpful, Removing the LTFS volume
There are two different ways of removing the LTFS volume:

Physically eject the cartridge from the drive by right-clicking on the drive and selecting the option to Eject LTFS volume. In this case, the drive letter will remain reserved, although it cannot be accessed until another LTFS cartridge is loaded into the drive.

Unload: Physically ejects the LTFS volume from the tape drive. The file system will continue to run, but attempting to access the volume while no cartridge is present will result in the error message The device is not ready. When a formatted LTFS cartridge is loaded into the drive, the index will be read and checked, and then the volume may again be accessed.

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee
mjiggidy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for your response!  Do you know how long it will take to release the next version?

Also, do you have any documentation on using ltfs.exe via command line (aside from the help provided in ltfs.exe -a)?  I'm writing a small utility at work to assist with batch tape pulls, and I want to be able to automatically eject the tape when it's time to insert the next one.  This is easy on Linux, but seems impossible on Windows.  Using the command in my original post gets me close, but I've noticed it doesn't invoke the Fuse4WinSvc like HPE's Cartridge Utility GUI does, so I have concerns.

LINITY

@mjiggidy wrote:

Thanks so much for your response!  Do you know how long it will take to release the next version?

Also, do you have any documentation on using ltfs.exe via command line (aside from the help provided in ltfs.exe -a)?  I'm writing a small utility at work to assist with batch tape pulls, and I want to be able to automatically eject the tape when it's time to insert the next one.  This is easy on Linux, but seems impossible on Windows.  Using the command in my original post gets me close, but I've noticed it doesn't invoke the Fuse4WinSvc like HPE's Cartridge Utility GUI does, so I have concerns.

Physically eject the cartridge from the drive by right-clicking on the drive and selecting the option to Eject LTFS volume. In this case, the drive letter will remain reserved, although it cannot be accessed until another LTFS cartridge is loaded into the drive.