StoreEver Tape Storage
1748093 Members
5990 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

lto 3 drive performance issue

umashankar giri

lto 3 drive performance issue

when we install the lto 3 drive on hp dl 580g4 server it is giving backup around 10 to 11 mbps ad in l&tt device performence test performance is 48 mbps
on other ml 350 g5 or any other model server it giving 107 to 113 in l&tt(copmressed) and 55 to 60 mbps (native)in nt backup and other backup softeare (veritas,dataprotector),this is the hp documented and actual performance of lto3 drive
after that i change the pci-x single scsi card on the server ,this change not make any impact on the server on erver one pci-x and four pci-e slot available
i already face same problme at diffrent client so i orderd motherboard replace this , after changing the motherboard in l&tt tool lto3 device performance change to 48 mbps to 113 mbps , and in nt backup 11 mbps to 16 mbps
in l&tt tool lto3 drive is giving now its actual performance ,but in nt backup somewhare missing
3 REPLIES 3
Timothy Cusson
Valued Contributor

Re: lto 3 drive performance issue

L&TT is telling you the hardware is OK, so it could be the software or the data source you are backing up. Thousand of small files take longer to backup then a few large files. Compressed disk drives are also very slow to backup. Also verify the SCSI card driver and the LTO3 driver.
umashankar giri

hi i am using the cable 416704-001 this is universal cable and recommaned

i already updated latest driver from hp site

and scsi card driver

a also tried small and large files same thing happing
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Ltt device performance test create data directly in the server memory, then tranfer the data to the LTO drive.
Then only thing that can interfere is if the server is running other intensive applications.
Using backup application to test the througputh you should care about the source data, if they are on a slow disk, defragmented, or got from SAN or LAN.
then this is not only the performance of the drive that may cause slow backups but aslo the server and the data source