1753971 Members
8188 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: mkltfs fails with "Format operation failed (-1)" Legitimate request

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

I haven't used LTT on Linux for a few years and don't have a system readily accessible to install/try it.  Here is a link to an online user's guide which might help.  It has a section on using LTT on non-Windows systems which covers running tests.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00006060en_us

It looks like you have to select the device and then enter the command "test" to the list of tests.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

benwbooth
Occasional Advisor

I managed to find and run the tests. Here are the results:

Data Assessment Test
- Analysis Results
- version: V06.12.2018
- Rule 8.10 (Cartridge Memory/Incorrect barcode label):
- One or more following incorrect barcode labels have been detected.
- ABJ406M8
- Please ensure that the correct labels are used for the cartridge type.
- Rule 12.1 (POST/Not power cycled):
- The drive has not been power cycled since we reported a self test failure.
- Please power cycle the drive to check whether it is repeatable.
- Use HP/HPE branded storage media.
- Please run the LTO Drive Assessment Test to check the operation of your drive.
- There were 19 rules and 138 subrules checked.
- Device Analysis completed, and warnings have been reported.

Drive Assessment Test
- Test 'LTO Drive Assessment Test' started on device 'HPE Ultrium 8-SCSI' at address 'b0.3.0[11-/dev/sg2]'
- Operations Log
- executing LTO Drive Assessment Test...
- checking tape load ...
- unloading ...
- loading ...
- Performing diagnostic test Middle Wraps ....
- unloading ...
- loading ...
- Read Margin is : 0.00
- Write Margin is : 0.00
- Drive Margin is : 0.00
- Test failed
- Analysis Results
- LTO Drive Assessment Test, version V11.06.2015
- Test run: Thu Nov 12 12:59:29 2020
- Drive serial number: DEC83406M7
- Data Cartridge Information:
- Vendor: HPE
- Format: LTO-7
- Serial Number: MLGP0R9764
- Barcode: ABJ406M8
- There was an unexpected error while writing to Middle Wraps.
- Sense Key 0x03, Sense Code 0x0C00 (Write error), Error Code: 0x7420 Too many dead tracks detected while writing
- It is recommended to clean the drive using an unexpired cleaning cartridge and retry the test
- The LTO Drive Assessment Test has checked the history and operation of the selected drive, and
- problems have been reported.
- The drive is no longer recommended for use.
- Please contact HPE support for further assistance.
- Test time: 8:44

Read / Write Test
- Test 'Read/Write Test' started on device 'HPE Ultrium 8-SCSI' at address 'b0.3.0[11-/dev/sg2]'
- Analysis Results
- Read/Write Test version: V18.10.2018
- Operations Log
- Performing 1st write phase of read/write test
- Drive reported unrecoverable I/O error condition, test phase cannot proceed.
- Test failed

I tried manually cleaning the drive using the cleaning cartridge as suggested in the test results and re-ran the test, but got the same results. I have a real LTO-8 tape coming in the mail that I want to test (instead of the LTO-7 type M tapes I've been using). If that one fails to write, I guess I'm out luck.

benwbooth
Occasional Advisor

The part about the incorrect barcode labels in the Data Assessment Test was interesting. I'm certain that these barcodes are correct. I double and triple-checked that they're the right barcodes for the tapes I'm using. I've used the same barcode sheet for previous LTO-7 type M tapes and those were fine. 

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

I suspect the reason for the incorrect barcode is that the drive wasn't able to write to the media so it hasn't been initialized as LTO-7 Type M and is still reported as LTO-7.

Sorry to say, the test results are consistent with a writer failure.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

benwbooth
Occasional Advisor

The writer seems to have failed but I can still read existing tapes. If the writer has failed, should I expect the ability to read tapes to fail soon as well, or are the reader and writer components completely separate? I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to buy another LTO-8 drive or wait for LTO-9, which has backward compatibility for LTO-8 but not LTO-7 type M. If I can expect the existing drive to continue to read OK, then I could wait for LTO-9 and maybe transfer tapes from LTO-7 type M to LTO-8 or 9 tapes later on.

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

I checked with engineering regarding whether an open write failure occuring affected the probability of a read failure occuring in the future.  The response I got was that there hasn't been any research looking specifically at that and we don't know.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

benwbooth
Occasional Advisor

Thanks @Curtis_Ballard .

I have another question: since the autoloader component seems to be working, would it be possible to just replace the drive component? Is this something I could do myself, or is there a support contact at HP that could provide me with a quote to replace or possibly repair just the drive?

Thanks!

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

The 1x8 G2 autoloader can use replacement/service drives for an MSL2024, MSL4048, MSL8096, MSL6480, or MSL3040.

All of the modern MSL products share common drives and the same drives are also used in the 1x8 G2. 

You should be able to get a service drive from HPE or an upgrade/replacement drive from HPE or any HPE resaler that carriers the tape products.

If you buy an upgrade drive then you may need new firmware for your 1x8 G2 which normally requires a support contract or active warrenty for the autoloader but if you buy a drive from an authorized reseller and need new firmware you can use the drive warrenty to get that firmware.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Carlos_Vicente_

Hi. Hope you are doing well…

I am “playing” with the command lines, trying to format an LTFS LTO7 Type M Tape, to obtain 9TB of capacity, instead of 6TB.

I have an external HPE Standalone LTO8 Drive, connected via SAS to a Linux Server, and do not want to use the GUI applications...

Do you know where I can find a complete "Command line Guide" for linux? Do you know any "command or script" i can ejecut to do this?

Thanks, in advanced.

Regards,

Carlos  Vicente