StoreEver Tape Storage
1753844 Members
7904 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: my first post: why is my restore not working?

OSWALDO PRADO

my first post: why is my restore not working?

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask a question:

I have a 8GB Travan Tape drive with the Tapeware backup software on a windows 2000 pro machine. I do a full backup daily and yesterday I wanted to test that in fact the data was on the tape, so I did a partial restore. However, after each "pass" I receive error 543. When I look at the log for this error I see that no data was restored because "an unexpected bus is available". I simply don't understand what this means and even if I should consider this the real cause. Why would my backups work, the identify media procedure work, but not the restore procedure?

thanks so much
I'm just a beginner
3 REPLIES 3
Neil Ryan
Advisor

Oswaldo,

I have yet to encounter this error, but there is something in Windows 2000 that may be causing you these headaches. There is a service that runs in Win2k called Removable Storage Manager (RSM). This service is used by the native Windows 2000 backup applet, and unless you're using it for your backups, it will often cause all sorts of strange unexplainable errors. HP highly suggests you stop and disable this service when using any third-party backup software (eg. Tapeware.)
Go into the Win2k services by clicking Start, Run, 'services.msc' (without the quotations.) Locate the service called Removable Storage and double-click it. Then click the Stop button and change the Startup Type to Disabled. In some cases, a reboot is also needed before you will see any change in performance. Hope this resolves your issue, if not, feel free to contact a call center.
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't." - Lewis Finch
OSWALDO PRADO

thanks, I will try that.
I'm just a beginner
Joey Jackson
Frequent Advisor

Good Catch Neil,

but if that works, you will have to set the RMS service to "MANUAL", if you simply stop the service, it will resume when you reboot!

Joey
Every Day is a Good Day