New Discussion юеВ

poor backup media problem with HP ESL 9000 Backup Library

SOLVED
Go to solution
Onder SAHIN
Occasional Contributor

poor backup media problem with HP ESL 9000 Backup Library

Hi all,
We are using HP OpenView Storage Data Protector software and have a HP ESL 9000 Backup Library with SDLT drives (10 unit).

Recently, we frequently face with the poor media problem. When we want to restore from a backup media, we couldnot restore in order to that media is appeared to be poor. We changed brand of SDLT media from maxell to HP. But, this problem still continue.

We think this problem is probably related to HP ESL 9000 Backup Library neither media tape nor HP Storage Data Protector software.

We would appreciate if you can share your opinion&experiences with us.

best regards to all,

8 REPLIES 8
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Re: poor backup media problem with HP ESL 9000 Backup Library

Hi,

Is there any errors in the backup sessions ?

Is the library SAN attached ?

Which OS on the Cell Manager and clients ?
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

Some more questions:
-which is the drives's firmware release?
-Are all the drives at the same firmware level?
-Are you using DP 5.0 or 5.1?
-Are you using latest DP patches?
-If in SAN, did you zone your switches?
-If is SAN, are you using static or dynamic maps onto your NSR?

Let us know
Claudio
Onder SAHIN
Occasional Contributor

Hi again,
I will try to answer all your questions.
Firstly, Leif's :
- We have found I/O errors in some backup sessions.
- We have SAN environment including HP/Sun Servers and EMC Disk Units. But,the library is not attached to SAN. All backups are being taken over network.(LAN)
- Cell Manager's OS is HP-UX 11i (on HP N-Class Server). Clients's OS are HP-UX 11i, Sun Solaris 5.8 and MS Windows 2000.
Claudio's :
- How can we see drives's firmware release?
- We didnot install a new DP patch for a long time.Can you give us specific patches to control whether it is installed or not?
- We are using DP 5.1.
- The library is not attached to SAN.
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
I am not familar with the ESL library but I assume it can be accessed with a web browser and then you can get information about firmware for the library and drives. Another way is to use LTT which can be downloade from:
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
There you also should find firmware upgrades.

I would also strongly recommend patching your enviroment. Install the latest version of the Core, CS,DA,MA packets and all integrations that apply to your enviroment. Don't forget to update the clients after installing the patch packets on the installation server. Please note that the "client" components on the Cell Manager must be updated with "Add component".

http://support.openview.hp.com/cpe/patches/dp/dp.jsp

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Having media marked as poor typically means DP encountered hard write errors or high write error rate, but occasionally it is caused by other errors in the data path.

To troubleshoot drive/media problems (which would be a good start), I would suggest installing HP Library & Tape Tools (as mentioned by Leif), and generate a support ticket for each of the drives that have reported errors. If you have a many drives with this condition, just collect tickets for a few to start with. The support tickets for individual SDLT drives are fairly small, so you can post them here (the .ltt file).
The journey IS the reward.
Onder SAHIN
Occasional Contributor

Hi again,
Leif&David, thank you for your help&good opinions.
To sum up the last status,I installed LTT software on DP Cell Manager(HP-UX11 Server) successfully. But,I think that we have to install LTT client on a Windows machine to manage&monitor with GUI.Is that true? I would be happy to give me detail information regarding using LTT.
Besides, We are downloading recommended DP patches and we will install them as soon as possible. (patch files are quite large)

I will give you feedback in advance.
kind regards,

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Onder,

The LTT version on HP-UX does not require any windows client. However, the HP-UX version is a bit less user-friendly and intuitive, as it only has a command line interface (CLI) rather than the GUI version used on Windows. There are instructions on how to use the CLI version of LTT in the manual available on the web. Basically you will run the program which discovers all of the supported devices (e.g. libraries and drives) attached to the system. You would then select the drives in question (based on the device hardware path) and then select the support option, and then save a support ticket (a .ltt file) for that device. You can then post the .ltt file(s), or you can email them, etc.

Let me know if you need any additional help. If there are some issues using LTT we would like to know about them, and we'll certainly help you through using it.
The journey IS the reward.
Onder SAHIN
Occasional Contributor

Hi David,
We have completed FW upgrade for ESL900 Library&all drives.And also, we are installing the DP patches.

So, from now on, we will check & monitor the backup system after this changes. If there is any advance, i will inform you by writing here.

Thanks David&Leif&all.