StoreEver Tape Storage
1748150 Members
3647 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

problem reading tape in drive C5683A

Ilaria Meliconi

problem reading tape in drive C5683A

I have a tape drive C5683A for backup which seems to have some problems reading data i.e. the compare backup job does not work, nor can I read the latest backup job (although it is reported as successful in the backup log). I am not familiar with tape drives, anyone can help?
Many thanks,
Ilaria
2 REPLIES 2
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: problem reading tape in drive C5683A

could you specify what os you are running and what Backup software you are using?

In DDS tecnology the every data written to the tape is immediately checked by the read head, so we have a RAW (read after write) function, if the RAW found a failure, the error is immediately notified by a scsi command to the Backup software that will report the error to the console.

Be sure that the backup task are correctly scheduled, in fact if the job is created and no data are selected to be backuped, you will have anyway a successfull backup, but you will not be able to restore any data
Ilaria Meliconi

Re: problem reading tape in drive C5683A

I am running XP and Orlogix backupMyPC. I am fairly sure the backup is correctly scheduled, as from the log it lasts for about an hour. The compare job is scheduled to run after the backup job has finished and that's the one which seems not to be working. If I try and restore from the folder view (as opposed to media view and device view) I get a message "the media wasn't initialized by this system" or such.
I have asked in the software's forums and someone suggested the tape may have problems with the read function.