1752617 Members
4514 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

reading netware backup tapes on windows

CA1048384
Occasional Contributor

reading netware backup tapes on windows

We recently converted a Proliant to be a W2K server. We inherited a lot of tapes created with Netware. Windows sees the tape and the device functions but the data on the tape cannot be read or downloaded.

Does anyone have a fix for this??

Thanks
Tom
3 REPLIES 3
CA439752
Advisor

Re: reading netware backup tapes on windows

It's most likely going to depend on what backup program created the tapes. When you converted to W2K, did you change backup programs as well? If so, the new one probably doesn't understand the way the old tape was written. This could be a tough one...

Good luck!
Seth
CA1048384
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the input. The (labelled) manufacturer of the software was in both cases Compaq, so I had hoped to find some meta-ware on the Compaq site - but so far with no luck.

Probably will be easier to find someone using our old setup and pull it from there.

It's a classic "Does everyone have what they want off the old server" case. Someone discovered he did not after the new installation had been completed.

Thanks for your input
Tom
CA439752
Advisor

I don't think Compaq makes backup software. They may have made (or OEM'd) the actual tapes, but not the program that wrote them to the tape/drive.

What backup program do you use now and before? Arcserve/Brightstor, Bakup Exec, Omniback/Data Protector, etc. That's what I was talking about.

You may be right about having to find someone else, but you may be able to figure out what format the old program used and see if you can find some utility to read that format.

I don't envy your situation in the least!
Seth