1752790 Members
6385 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp2470 won't recognize DLT7000 tape drive

keith runnels_1
Occasional Advisor

rp2470 won't recognize DLT7000 tape drive

I have an rp2470 with a CD and DDS3 tape drive connected to the ultra2-wide SE port 0/0/1/0 (small centronics connector) and nothing connected to the narrow SE port 0/0/2/0 (50-pin connector). These 2 ports are built into the system.

I also have a DLT7000 with a fast-wide differential scsi port (68-pin connector).

I thought I could connect the DLT to the narrow SE port since ioscan reports it as "C875 Fast Wide SCSI". However, I've connected it using a 50-pin to 68-pin cable and the system doesn't recognize it. I've also connected it in the ultra2-wide chain as scsi id 2 (0 & 1 being the cd & dds), but it likewise wasn't recognized by the system.

Shouldn't I be able to hook up this tape drive?
4 REPLIES 4
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
I think the problem is that the DLT 7000 is a HVD (High Voltage Differential). This will not work with either of the SCSI ports on the rp2470. You need a LVD or SE interface (or a LVD/HVD converter.
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

recommend getting the FWD card for your server... check on part A5159A...it is a dual port, FWD SCSI card with the VHDCI interface (Very High Density). Your drive will work with this adapter, you just need to confirm with the card that you have the correct cable and any terminators required

Ted
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You will need a 'A4800A' SCSI card to hook this up. The drive does require it to be a HVD adaptor. Make sure that you use the correct 68pin cable and terminator.

Regards
Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
keith runnels_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, guys, for the responses. Since seeing your replies, I was able to find the card listing in the documentation.

Michael, sorry about the 4 points. I intended to give you 7 like everyone else. Please post another response and I'll give you 3 points for it!