1751888 Members
5153 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: storage works 1016

julian dimitrov
Occasional Contributor

storage works 1016

my tape drive DLT40/80 on autoloder failed and i replaced it with DLTVS80. when i start autoloader 1016, it indicated "communication error 6F" on self check.
What can i do ?
5 REPLIES 5
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

The current model SSL1016 Autoloader does not support VS80 tape drives.

Do you have the product # for the unit you have? I may be able to tell you what drives it supports, given the product #.
No matter where you go, there you are.
julian dimitrov
Occasional Contributor

Product number is 330815-B21
thanks..
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

The supported drive types in the HP 1016 family of autoloaders are the DLT1, the SDLT 160/320, and the LTO 460.

You said:

> my tape drive DLT40/80 on autoloder failed and i replaced it with DLTVS80

Did you really have a DLT40/80, or was it an DLT1 drive?

You mention replacing with a VS80 drive. The DLT VS80 is format compatible with the DLT1 drive, but is a physically a different drive with different firmware.

Also, all the drives used in the 1016 require a special variant of firmware so the only replacement drive suitable are drives that were specifically configured for use in a 1016 autoloader. Was the replacement drive one from or for a 1016 autoloader?

The reference manual doesn't list an error 6F, although the 60+ range is listed as "internal communication events", which would match a problem communicating with the drive (perhaps because it has the wrong firmware personality).
The journey IS the reward.
julian dimitrov
Occasional Contributor

Hi David, can you tell me the Part Number of LTO 460 drive upgrade kit - Replaces the DLT 1 drive in a StorageWorks 1016 DLT 1 autoloader .
I am looking for it, but i am not founding it.
Best Regards
July
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Updating just the drive will not make this an LTO autoloader. The magazines are also different, and perhaps the robotics (it uses a different Chassis part number).

If you want to update drive technology, then SDLT320 would be compatable with your current DLT magazines and chassis.
The journey IS the reward.