4681 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

storageworks 232 problem HP tools test fail

klabacita
Occasional Advisor

storageworks 232 problem HP tools test fail

Hi.

I have 1 HP external HP StorageWorks 232 running FreeBSD 6.2-pX, i'm using bacula 2.2.8 for my backups, after more than 2 years running without a issue(2-3 times i use the cleaning cartridge), last week my backups start to fail.

Last week i didn't finish any full backup because my tape fail everyday.

I test my tape using Unix commands like tar, gzip and all fail, sometimes went i start send data to the tape after some GB the tape freezes, i work a lot time trying to fix this issue without any good results.

Yesterday i install this tape in my machine running Windows XP Pro and HP tools to test my tape and again my test fail.

I use 2 tapes to test and all the tests i run fail.

This is one of the logs, hope someone with more experience could help me understand this info, i upload the file.

I didn't update the Firmware because the latest firmware they just give support to new OS(Windows vista/2008) them looks like the don't help me.

I have been working with this tape about 2 years without any since.

Any info about please let me know i will appreciated a lot, thanks for your support!!
4 REPLIES 4

Re: storageworks 232 problem HP tools test fail

Hi,

When i analyzed the logs files that youhave attached, the tape tools recorded some problem with the media that you have used to run the Drive assessment Test and also there is a SCSI configuration rule check logged while running the test.

It could be due to
1. Incompatible/Non-HP Branded or Faulty Media
2. The Drive is connected to either onboard SCSI Controller to perform the test.
3. The drive could be at fault

in order to fix, could you provide the detials of the media and the SCSI Card please?

If you are sure that no H/W or S/W changes has been made prior to the issue please call the Technical support line.

The Ultrium 232 Drive has a Warranty Active till 02/13/2009. If you are in UK or IRE call 08708422339 Option 4 and Option 3.

Revert if you need further information.

Thanks
Kalidoss
klabacita
Occasional Advisor

Hi Kalidoss.

"1. Incompatible/Non-HP Branded or Faulty Media"

All our media is HP, we purchase this from cdw.

"The Drive is connected to either onboard SCSI Controller to perform the test"

This drive is connected to the same scsi card i use for bacula adaptec 29160, is a old one but is working for us, is plug in a pci slot.

My cartridge are the number C7971A 200BG.

Before i answer u, i was trying to test again with others media, but now my drive each time i load a tape, eject my tape and the "Tape Led" start flashing orange, i read the manual and just tell me that my media could not be the right one, or maybe write protect enable.

I test with ten working cartridges and the same error. I reset the drive and right now i cannot load any media.

U think is time to send this to HP technical support?

Thanks Kalidoss for your support!!!

Hi,

Thank you for updating. it seems that the Drive is not recognizing any medias. Since we have tried using several Hp Branded tapes, the drive makes no progress and no SCSI Settings has been changed i beleive.

At this Point, it would appreciate if you call Hp Solution Engineer.

Revert for any clarifications.

Thanks
Kalidoss
klabacita
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Kalidoss.

I appreciated your advice, i will call HP technical people. Thanks again.