108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: suggestions for a new tape drive on HP 9000 D220 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Grant Willey
Advisor

suggestions for a new tape drive on HP 9000 D220 server

Hello. I have a HP 9000 D220 server w/the original DDS1 internal tape drive. I need to purchase a larger tape drive, I don't want a DAT, I'm looking for a HP DLT solution. Can you recommend a drive, internal or external, that's proven to work on the D220? Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Grant: you're primary gating factor nowadays for D-class external tapes or libraries will be, "can I get it with HVD/FWD SCSI?"

Most modern drives are LVD SCSI, which D-class doesn't have and never will have. I would suggest that you get a refurbished "Smart Storage" DLT8000 drive from HP. Contact your sales rep, HVD DLT8000 drives and libraries may be available new, or from HP refurbished division. If you know exactly what you want, you might even work with a used equipment broker (be careful, and check references, and get a warranty).

One other possibility is to use the SE SCSI bus on your D-class server to run a DLT vs80 drive. See:

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/tapebackup/dlt_tapedrives/dltvs80_drives/index.html

Devices that use LVD UltraSCSI can also run on the older Single-Ended SCSI voltage levels. They automatically sense SE signals and switch to that mode. DLT vs80 drives can hold 40GB native, like DLT8000s, but run slower. They are vastly faster than a DDS DAT. They use the standard DLT "Data IV" cartridge (cheap, these days).

What you will find is that this is not a "supported configuration", according to the list. D- and K- class aren't even listed, since they went obsolete before this drive came along. All the "supported" servers use LVD SCSI, not SE, so... it would need a trial on your part to attempt this. Many things will work that aren't officially "supported", but if you went with a new DLT vs80 drive, you would want to be sure you could return it if you can't make it work on the SE bus (drivers, etc).

To connect the DLT vs80 to the SE port on the D220, you would need a HDTS50 (50-pin mini-D connector) to HDTS68 (68-pin mini-D) male-to-male cable. Also, the drive can be free-standing or rack-mount, which you have to decide (may affect cable length) SE SCSI is limited to 21 feet, so 2-5 meter cables are normally used. You will also need a 68-pin terminator, but a "multimode" LVD/SE terminator should come with the drive (double-check).

You will have the "rack/free standing" choice with HP refurb gear, if that's the way you decide to go. If you use HP refurb HVD/FWD DLT8000, you will also need a FWD card for your D-class (requires an HSC slot, so check the back of your computer), and an HDTS68 to HDTS68 male-to-male cable.

Good Luck with this, hopefully I have given you somewhere to start.

--bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)
Grant Willey
Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your explanation was great. I've decided to go w/a DDS Dat40i. I've already got 2 others for other non-HP servers and have reviewed the documentation. The docs say you can plug them into SE SCSI cables w/no problem, only need to purchase the HP 68-50 adapter cable. This is what I'll do. BUT, I still have the issue of termination as a problem. The drive won't come w/a cable or multimode terminator for an internal drive. I have everything I need for cabling except the terminator. I'm wondering if I can terminate the drive itself w/o an external multimode terminator. I don't think so, but I'll check. What do you think about the termination issue?
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

Grant: To connect up an external DAT40 on the SE bus, you will need to come up with a terminator that is 68 pin, since your existing terminator is 50 pin. A 68 pin terminator should come with any "deskside" drive, but if you need one, just go buy one at a local computer supply place. All LVD/SE terminators are interchangeable, provided that they say LVD/SE or something like that, and that you have the right plug type (HDTS68, not VHDCI68, which is the super-mini LVD plugs).

If needed, you can get LVD/SE cables and terminators on the internet or via mail-order catalogs. You know what you need, so that should not be difficult to do.

Mind the SCSI ID, since the existing DAT will still be on the bus. You only have 7 SCSI IDs on this old bus, but you should still be well within those bounds.

I wouldn't suggest replacing the existing DAT drive with the DAT40, since the shape and size (50 vs 68 pins) of the internal connector won't match. An adapter cable would be all you'd require, and they do exist, but they are harder to find than external cables.

Regards, --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)