108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

tape restore

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA864263
Occasional Advisor

tape restore

I have a colorado trakker tape backup 120 MB which will not recognize the format the tapes are in. Does it make a big difference what OS created this? They were probably created in Win95 and am restoring in win98
14 REPLIES 14
CA850990
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: tape restore

hi carol, Chances are, you made the backup using Fat16, and windows 98 uses Fat32 by default. This can cause some of the issues your seeing. Try installing Windows98 with Fat16 ( 2gb partition or less ) Let me know what you find
Meh.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Hi Carol,

A bigger problem is the 120 was never supported in Win 95 because there were problems restoring. Have you ever been able to restore anything even in Win 95?
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA864263
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to you all I will build me a win95 machine and let you know how it goes..Ihave to keep the win98 for other legacy software and edquipment...

Carol
CA864263
Occasional Advisor

Okay I have a win95 machine that still sees these tapes as unformatted.......any other ideas ???? Would 311 play more friendly?
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Hi Carol,

As I said previously, the 120 was not supported in WIN 95 becuase they waould not restore. It is possible you may be able to restore something in Win 3.11 or even DOS but wouldn't get my hopes too high.
CA864263
Occasional Advisor

why would the tapes be recognized as unformatted? the drive seems to work fine..Would the version of colorado software be a factor? I have version 2.01 on the win 95 machine. version 1.02 locks up the system.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

This version of software was written for Windows 3.11 and therefore not supported in Win95. It installs and appears to work however, as you have discovered, you can't restore anything.
CA864263
Occasional Advisor

Well it still says unformatted tape so I guess it does not work in 3.11 either grrrrrrrrr
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Probably the reason is says unformatted tape is because it was backed up in Win 95. To put it as gently as I can, if it was backed up in win95 it can't be restored. The operating system itself, Win 95 did not support this tape drive at all.