1748204 Members
3457 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tar command says "No such device or address

Amit Kureel
Advisor

tar command says "No such device or address

I apologize to everybody that a typo in my previous post wasted a lot of your time.... I am well aware of the syntax of the "tar" command, but even after the correct command ( tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0m /home/amit ), I am getting this error message !

So now can anybody offer some help ?

I also repeat the second part of my question...

Can anybody indicate what could be the error, and how to re-create the device file /dev/rmt/0m that tar refers to by default...? because my "mksf" only creates the file /dev/rmt/c#t#dBEST

I even tried to re-build the device file in /dev/rmt/c#t#dBEST and I can see all the usual files /dev/rmt/0m
/dev/rmt/0mn
/dev/rmt/0mnb
etc.,

Thanks in advance....

Amit Kureel
5 REPLIES 5
Richard Beyko
Occasional Advisor

try running insf -e to recreate all the device files on your system
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

If you are still working on this..

try running # ioscan -fnC tape and verify the device file with the actual device.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

ioscan -fnkC tape

If the device is CLAIMED and the device file does not exist, you can create it through SAM.

man mksf for specific instructions (see examples) on how to create tape files manually.

Bill
It works for me (tm)
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

If, for some reason, the usual commands refuse to give you a /dev/rmt/0m, then you have three choices:

1. Create /dev/rmt/0m manually - use the major and minor numbers from the tape device you want as your "default" tape unit. You can use mknod for this.

2. Hard link /dev/rmt/0m to the desired tape device.

3. Symbolic link /dev/rmt/0m to the desired tape device.

Good luck
No matter where you go, there you are.
Doug Rauenzahn
Advisor

Hello,

That error typically means the tape device is either not attached or not loaded with media. Run 'ioscan -fnC tape' to be sure the system can indeed see the device. If the device comes up OK in the ioscan output, then make sure the device is loaded with media. Also, amke sure the device is supported and that you have the proper tape patch for the device.