StoreEver Tape Storage
1752594 Members
2870 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

tl891 has no sequential mode?

Robert D Mumford

tl891 has no sequential mode?

I'm trying to set up a TL891 10 catridge system to do backups on a ds20 with 6 18GB disks. I need the tape to automatically load the next tape when the previous one is ejected. The manual I have says that there is a sequential mode that is set from the Configure Menu/Set Library Mode command. But, when I select the Configure Menu, I do not have a Set Library Mode selection, it seems to skip right to Set Element Base. Is my manual out of date or is my tape drive not set correctly. Where is the Set Library Mode selection? Thanks -
3 REPLIES 3
Rick Dyson
Valued Contributor

Re: tl891 has no sequential mode?

Does your tape library have the latest F/W? I believe it is v5.25. If not, I would recommend you update it. I have a couple of these units (TL891 and TL891DLX) and I am not sure I remember what all the menu options are, but I do remember using Sequential for a while. The downside to it is that it can not be use with MRU (i.e., Robot) when it is in that mode.

I know it makes it easier for simple backups where you don't want to handle tape changes, but I can't say enough how often Robot has saved me coming into work at off hours!!!

rick

Try looking on the HP web sites for the TL891 F/W. If you can't find it, I have a copy I could pass along. It updates via a PC and a serial cable.
Robert D Mumford

Thanks, I suspected it might need new firmware, so I found 5.25 and the libcenter software, but I have not installed it yet. I do find it hard to beleive that a whole menu option would be missing due to firmware, though. Is there anything else that I might be doing wrong?

I will see if I can locate a serial cable and get prepared just in case. Thanks again.

Robert D Mumford

Found the problem: Went in to the defaults memnu item and reset the library back to DEC mode. After a reboot, I had the Library Mode Option, and was able to set it to sequential DLT0. I was not able to connect to the library from my ps using the libcenter, so I did not up grade the firmware. I don't know whats up with that, except that this model is a TL891-NT, and the back is not laid out like the manual. I know my cable was good, and I tried some different baud rates, but no go. This is a temporary solution, so I'll not bother. And thats also why no money will be spent on MRU, etc. thanks for the help.