Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ufsdump compression not working on a DDS-4 tape

ufsdump compression not working on a DDS-4 tape

Hi all,

This message was posted on different forum. I am moving it thinking this will be an appropriate forum to ask.

I am trying to use a DDS-4 drive on solaris 8 to take a unfsdump of a file system with size 26 GB. I tried tape devices /dev/rmt/0, /dev/rmt/0c and following the above suggestion /dev/rmt/hb. In all cases I am getting end of media at about 92.3 % and prompts for a new volume. The output is given below.

DUMP: Estimated 52999670 blocks (25878.75MB).

DUMP: NEEDS ATTENTION: Is the new volume (#2) mounted on `192.168.5.122:/dev/rmt/0c' and ready to go?: ("yes" or "no") DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

mt status shows this as a HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive.

Thanks for your help and with regards,

James
1 REPLY

Re: ufsdump compression not working on a DDS-4 tape

I gave the answere already frequently:
Your data must be compressable otherwise you are able to write only 20 GB on one tape. If your data consists of *.zip or *.jpg files, it can´t be compressed anymore by the the tapedrive. Try to compress the data with gzip for example and measure the resulting size. If it is still around 26 GB the data can´t be compressed.

Marcus