1753730 Members
4528 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ultrium 230 firmware update

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Sorry for the arm twisting - just like to check things out.
The journey IS the reward.
Brian_130
Advisor

no problem. it's better to know
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Brian,

Thanks for sending in the logs.

The oldest log (backup 4) was Feb 6, and it showed an ASPI error (failed to initialize), which I suspect meant there were no SCSI HBAs (including PCMCIA cards) found.

The backup 3 log said:
"Device not accessible - cannot determine class driver, or opened exclusively"

That most often means you had either Windows Removable Storage Manager (RSM) running, or your backup application/services running.

There is no backup 2 log.

The backup 1 log has nothing (it was from Feb 24th), and the most recent event log had the read write test.

So, questions for you:

1) Were Windows RSM and your backup application/services (assuming you are not using native backup) disabled before running LTT?

2) Do you have the event log backup 2 file?
Brian_130
Advisor

the services for backup exec were not stopped before... and i sent all the files that were in the log folder
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

OK, thanks Brian. I'm not sure why LTT is missing one of the event log backup files. It is possible that it did not get closed properly when the tool hung (did you cntl-alt-delete to kill the tool?)

As the LTT splash screen cautions, you should stop any applications that are accessing (or could access) the storage devices before running LTT.

We can close this with the suspecion that an interaction between the backup service and or windows plug and play manager caused LTT to hang after the firmware update (without the missing event log we don't know for sure).

Thanks for the info you provided.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Brian,

I think you had a follow-up which appeared as a separate thread. Unfortunately it has a null subject, so even us moderators can't get to it :-)
Brian_130
Advisor

really? hmmm....

just said that I had never stopped the services before during previous upgrades but will from now on.

thanks