StoreEver Tape Storage
1748113 Members
3495 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: upgrade autoloader

Mike Brearley

upgrade autoloader

I have an HP SureStore Tape Autoloader 1/9 (takes DLT 40/80 tapes). I'd like to upgrade the unit so that it will accept larger dlt tapes. It should be able to be done as the main drive unit is removable from the autoloader. I just need to know what tape drive to buy to put into it (I realize I will need to unmount the existing one from the slide rails that it's on and mount the new one).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
9 REPLIES 9
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The only drive upgrade from DLT to Ultrium is documented at HP's web site
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179911&taskId=110&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=34114

The upgrade manual is at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg28684/lpg28684.pdf

I am not sure if upgrade from DLT to SDLT is possible with this autoloader. I would contact HP sales or HP authorised re-seller for the confirmation.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Sameer is correct on the DLT to LTO1 upgrade. Note that you have to replace the front magazine (6 slots) and the rear magazine (3 slots) as well as the drive. You might be able to find a used LTO1 autolaoder a lot cheaper than the cost of the upgrade parts.

HP did not sell an SDLT drive in the 1/9 autoloader.

FYI, the Surestore autoloader was replaced with the StorageWorks product line before the LTO2 drive was released. The form factor is a rack mount 2U units with 8 slots and LTO3, LTO2, LTO1, SDLT320 or a VS80 drive.
The journey IS the reward.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Thought I'd point out a similar thread on replacing an older (718) autoloader:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=983025

It describes the new 2U MSL2024 as an option as well.
Mike Brearley

Thanks everyone for your help. Is there anywhere I can get the part numbers for the upgaded parts that I will need?
aleks mindlin
Frequent Advisor

David is right.
Running 40/80 you are on the top of DLT capasity for 1/9. You could try to get complete 1/9 LTO-1 Autoloader, but the risk will be condition of the internal PICKER (robot).
If you trust your existing Autoloader , I would suggest upgrade to LTO.
HP LTO-1 Drive Assembly HP p/n C7369-00820
LTO 6 slot Front magazine HP p/n C7147-67907
LTO 3 slot Rear magazine HP p/n C7147-67908
I also know for the fact, that 1/9 can be updated to LTO-2.
Mike Brearley

Do you have information on how to upgrade the 1/9 to LTO2?
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Mike,

The Ultrium2 drive was not integrated into the 1/9 (or the 2/20, etc) products, as the SureStore line was discontinued and replaced with the StorageWorks line of tape automation products before the Ultrium2 drive was released.

The current autoloader models with Ultrium include:

* The 1/8 2U autoloader with a FH Ultrium3, or HH Ultrium 1 or 2.

The new MSL2024 2U (24 slot) with either one FH Ultrium3 or up to two HH Ultrium2 drives.
aleks mindlin
Frequent Advisor

Considering switching 1/9 to LTO technology you may choose LTO-1 or LTO-2 modules. The only difference is, that LTO-1 module is official and LTO-2 module is product of integration.
Despite the fact, that SureStore line was discontinued before the LTO-2 drive was released, there is full recognition of
LTO-2 within 1/9.
HP Library & Tape Tools (LTT) is recognizing LTO-2 within 1/9 and is capable of verifying proper functionality through available Drive tests.
SureStore 1/9 is a pretty robust technology to just put it into the dumpster.
When starting from scratch it is wise to go after new technology.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> Product of integration

HP did not integrate the Ultrium2 into 1/9 platform, and therefore provides no support or regulatory/safety certification for this combination. We also cannot honor warranty on the autoloader or drive modified to work in an unsupported combination.

If a 3rd party has done their own integration of these components, please review their support and warranty conditions very carefully.

Also, no testing is done on this combination by the LTT team, and therefore we do not guarantee this to work (or will continue to work).