1753495 Members
4713 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

upgrading firmware MSL 6030 error

Fanlori
Frequent Advisor

upgrading firmware MSL 6030 error

Hi, I am trying to upgrade my MSL 6030 using the web interface as I dont have access to LTT.

I am now running my lib with:
lib firm: 5.16
drives firm: G25W

I have succesully upgraded my lib using the file NextGen_518.bin downloaded from ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/products/storageworks/msl/ as stated in the manual.
So it is now lib firmware: 5.18

The same manual did not state anything in particular about the drive upgrade.

So from the web interface I select upgrade using remote file.
Strangely it points to a file named : NextGen_518.bin
But failed to download the file from the remote FTP site (it did not give the path)
So I tried to do the upgrade with a local file, the same NextGen_518.bin I used for the library... it has the same name.

But very soon after starting the upgrade I receive this error message:

The "Flash Drive 1 (HP LTO Gen. 3) from Local File" operation failed: Error= 3

I finally had the same error message using:
LTT_Ultrium_3-SCSI_G54W_MSL.frm from the firmware bundle I found on the HP site...but it starts with LTT so I guess it is not helping.

So I am not sure what file to use to upgrade my drives firmware.

Could anyone guide me?

thank you
Surviving IT from within.
8 REPLIES 8
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: upgrading firmware MSL 6030 error

Hi,

the library firmware is for the library only - not for the drives, of course!

Allow me the question: Why you don't have access to LTT?
This is the recommended and easiest way to do this.

it is here:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Fanlori
Frequent Advisor

yeah the library firmware is only a library firmware...wondering why the "upgrade from remote site" option under the drive options points to this file.

anyway, LTT doesnt play well on my backup machine...still trying to figure out why with HP. although everything else works fine (backup jobs, restore jobs...)

Suggestion about how to upgrade drives firmware not using ltt? or link to the right firmware?
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

If you can't use L&TT for your drive upgrade, you have a real problem. I'm not sure HP publish any non-L&TT firmware for MSL drives anymore. If you use firmware from any other source, you run the risk of using an unsupported version.

L&TT F/W is "keyed" to the correct drive type, to make it difficult to load the wrong version. Any other method would require third party tools to load it, assuming you get the right "flavour" of firmware in the first place.

It is possible to generate a FUP tape (i.e. firmware update tape), if you read the L&TT user guide, there are instructions how to create this - but again you need access to a system running L&TT connected to an LTO3. Once you have a FUP tape with the correct binary image on it - you put the drive into 'maintenance mode' and it will automatically load the image.

I'm not sure what your problems with L&TT are, but it is also possible to create a "run-from-CD" version so you don't have to install it on the server.

regards
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

You can temporary connect your library to another server with L&TT installed in order to upgrade this firmware.
There is another utillity (MSLUtil) to upgrade MSL firware but is risky if you are not shure that you are using the right firmware file and there is no firmware file for version 5.18, the last one is 4.23.
You need a serial cable from your server com port to library serial port.
This utillity and this cable comes always with the library.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_331707-001/TPM_331707-001.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
Keep learning!!!
Fanlori
Frequent Advisor

Thank you all for your replies.
There is indeed something wrong with LTT here, that I cannot figure out even after spending hours with the HP support.

I find strange to have a cool upgrade option in the WEB GUI but no support from HP about this option.
I would assume HP have some other mean to upgrade firmwares without connecting the library to a SCSI or Fiber bus..or do they really do that when upgrading in factory?

I have tried MSutil, but as I was not sure what firmware file is good, as they are all LLT_ suffixed.

Any other suggestion?
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

For MSLUtiltool you need a bin file like this one: NextGen_518.bin
Another way: Buy a Laptop SCSI connectivity kit
Minimum Laptop Requirements
1- Windows XP
2 - 1 open PCMCIA CardBus capable slot

Hardware needed:

1 Centos U2WSCSI/LVD/80MBs SCSI Adapter for Laptop Card Bus CI-4600U2B-U2SCB CARDAY SUPPLY MANAGEMENT INC
2 Cable - SCSI Cable 2.0m VHDTS68 M/M MULTIMD C2373A HP
5 VHDCI LVD/SE TERMINATOR VHDCI/LVD/SCSI C2370A HP

If your Library is under onsite warranty or contract, you can generate a new support case and request a FE to upgrade firmware.
Keep learning!!!
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

The reason you need a SCSI, or Fibre connection to the drives for firmware upgrades is all to do with the way libraries work. The Web interface is to the controller only - there is no network connection from the library controller to the drives. The *ONLY* communication path between the library and its drives, is a via a fairly primitive serial status & command bus. This is not always suitable for transferring binary firmware images from the library controller to the drives.

In a standalone configuration, the SCSI/Fibre connection, FUP tape are the only ways of loading firmware anyway.

Mike Cross
Advisor

Send me an e-mail req @ Mike.Cross@hp.com.
I think I can help you. You need the .E version of the firmware file. Which we no longer post anywhere. Then you will be able to upgrade your Lib via RMI.