New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup to disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
sheng-ling.coadyvansd.o
Frequent Advisor

Backup to disk

Hi, all
I have a question regarding backup to disk.

Host-A attached to SAN for the disk backup. If for some reasons, host-A crashed, we now attached host-B to the same SAN, do we still have access to the backups and do restore?

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes that should be possible, however you've missed out lots of information required to give an accurate answer...

Things you would need to consider are:

1. The zoning on your SAN switches may have to be updated to allow host-B to see the SAN.
2. The LUNs on the SAN would probably have to be reconfigured to presented to host-B.
3. How host-B sees the LUNs will depend on what OS you're running.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
sheng-ling.coadyvansd.o
Frequent Advisor

So if we present the LUNs to both host A & B (windows 2000 SP4) with full read & write access at the beginning, then if host A crashed, would host B still be able to do restore?

Thank you
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Without some form of clustering software, having a LUN presented to two hosts at the same time is very likely to cause file system corruption...

Cheers,

Rob
sheng-ling.coadyvansd.o
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for the reply. Yes, you are right about the possiblility of file corruption if host A&B are not clustering.

I guess I need to test the senerio of host-A crashed, then present the LUNs to host-B and find out if we could still do a restore.

Thank you.