108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: CIFS share w AD authentication

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

CIFS share w AD authentication

I've created a CIFS NAS share with AD authentication.

In the share permission I see "Ad Authetication" . In NAS settings I see the users added from AD listed .

However when I try to map the share usng the credential from AD I cannot connect .

What should I check ?

thanks

9 REPLIES 9
sradomsky
Advisor

mapping a drive letter seems an unusual config requirement for StoreOnce.   First, try opening the url for your share in File Explorer,  it may ask for other credentials.   While the CIFS share is a share in a sense, it it limited it what it can do and should be used for storage for backup or archive purposes.   You can create, write, append, purge files,  but general updateing and other uses don't work well or at all.

Does your backup software require a mapped drive, or can you just use the url from your CIFS share?

Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

It fails the authentication whatever I try.

Tried mapping drive passing the UNC \\storeonce\cifsshare and it prompts me for credential and they are not accepted

tried directly opening the UNC and it does the same

The backup software does not require  to map a drive, it uses the UNC, but it fails authenticating

rwhitaker.cr
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello @Stefano Colombo,

Thanks for using HPE StoreOnce Backup Storage Forum.

If all attempts to connect with the StoreOnce CIFS NAS share configured for AD fails, it sounds like it is missing AD permissions.

In the Users Guide for your StoreOnce model, there is a section called "Granting AD domain uses access to NAS shares using the Windows Computer Management tool" where it gives you the steps to authorize users access to shares.

Hope that helps.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

Hello @ rwhitaker.cr

Thanks for your help it worked, now I can access the share from the Backup application using AD auth.

I have now, a strange behavior I hope I can have an help with.

The backup application seems to have an issue with the NAS share, which is not happening with other NAS, that prevent it to complete any backup job.

The backup starts and after  about 400MB it "restarts" from beginning with the follwoing error 

[*] TFile::Write: WriteFile failed, \\10.170.1.64\Retrospect\Backup\Retrospect\StoreOnce3640\1-StoreOnce3640\AA000007.rdb, osErr 1117, error -1117
[*] DDisk::ddskCloseFile: cannot write to AA000007.rdb: errore -1117 (errore del supporto), resetting m_pos from 153.600 to 0
[*] xopFlush: flush failed, errore -1117 (errore del supporto)
[*] xopFlush: flush failed, errore -1117 (errore del supporto)
Problemi di scrittura: "1-StoreOnce3640" (0), errore -1117 (errore del supporto)
Problema di scrittura del supporto:

The backup application is RETROSPECT 17.5 for windows 

thanks

rwhitaker.cr
HPE Pro

Hello @Stefano Colombo,

Glad you were able to resolve the CIFS NAS shares.

In regards of the backup application Retrospect, the last I recall as sopported was version 16.x, I will need to research on supportability of version 17.x. 

About the backup job error, seems like a job limitation error; make sure there is no "Quota" setup for the share (setting on StoreOnce share details page).  If there is no quota, then suggest you test copying a 500MB file to the share using Windows File Explorer, if that works then issue is with the application and I suggest you contact Retrospect support for assistance.

Hope that helps.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

Hello
There’s no quota on the cifs share, I have also tried to copy a 4GB iso file into the share with file explorer and worked without a problem
I’m also in contact with retrospect support but so far no real support from them, just some checks

Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

hello @rwhitaker.cr 

There’s no quota on the cifs share, I have also tried to copy a 4GB iso file into the share with file explorer and worked without a problem

The Retrospect support is asking me whether  the storeonce is natively supporting SMB since is something different from CIFS implementation 

The CIFS implementation of SMB is rarely used these days. Under the covers, most modern storage systems no longer use CIFS, they use SMB 2 or SMB 3. In the Windows world, SMB 2 has been the standard as of Windows Vista (2006) and SMB 3 is part of Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.

Do you have any advice on this ?

Thanks

rwhitaker.cr
HPE Pro

Hello @Stefano Colombo 

Thanks for your inquiry.

As you are able to copy a 500GB file with Windows File Explorer to the NAS share, StoreOnce is operating as designed.

Regarding SMB, this depends on generation of your StoreOnce.  Generation 3, supports switching different version of SMB by going to NAS on the web interface and click the "Edit" button to allow you change the SMB Protocol Version.  We suggest you set it to All unless specific.  On the otherhand, Generation 4 does NOT support switching SMB, it is hard coded to SMB 2/3 as you can see by clicking NAS, then click the 3 dots ("...") at upper right corner, select NAS setting.  Note the SMB protocol is grayed out preventing you from changing.

Hope this helps.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

Hello @rwhitaker.cr 

I copied a 5GB iso file with explorer without problems

The storeonce is a 

Platform Mode   lHPE StoreOnce 3640
Software Version   4.2.3-2011.40

The  CIFS settings are not modifiable as per the picture