4714 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

D2D 2504i connected to an 1/8 autoloader

scav0r
Occasional Contributor

D2D 2504i connected to an 1/8 autoloader

Hi,

I have a D2D 2504i and a 1/8 Auotloader tape drive. They are connected through a SAS cable.

I run backup with backupexec 2010, how do I setup the D2d box to run tapes?

I want to first run the backup to the D2d, then roll it out on the tape station.

Setup looks like this:

Symantec bkexec --network--> d2d 2504i--sas--> 1/8 tape autoloader

Please advice
3 REPLIES 3
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Re: D2D 2504i connected to an 1/8 autoloader

Which Generation is your 2504i? Generation 1 supports direct tape attach and Generation 2 does not.

Direct tape attach has the disadvantage that they will be no visibility from your backup application of the direct tape attach autoloader since it is connected to the D2D and not your media server. We recommend with G2 products that you connect the physical tape product and D2D to either the same media server or SAN so that the backup application has visibility of both and hence perform mirrored backups to both in parallel as one option.

See the best practices document at the end of this hp.com support docs web page for more information on phyiscal tape copy options.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3896393

If your 2540i is a G1 then you can control/schedule direct tape attach jobs via the webGUI under the tape attach tab. You can set schedules to perform backups at certain times etc and so its possible to align this with the backup jobs to the D2D run with your backup application

Cheers,

Dave Dewar
Mrtijn

Hi dave,

Why is this not mentioned on the website or in the quickspecs of this product ?
dwald
Occasional Collector

Hi dave,
Yes was working with tech support and they did not tell me that ?  would it make sence to go back to a g1 from a g2?

is there any update i could use to connect a tape drive to the d2d2504i g2 backup .

Why is this not mentioned on the website or in the quickspecs of this product ?