StoreOnce Backup Storage

HP StorageWorks D2D2504i

DTud
Visitor

HP StorageWorks D2D2504i

Hi,

I have the following system:-
HP StorageWorks D2D2504i - G02-E
EJ002C-60017 (On G3 software this would be HP StoreOnce 2620 Backup system)
Running Software Revision G2 (2.2.16)

I would like to upgrade it from the G2 to G3 (3.13.8) software and the page at.... at https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_dc00c3137bff49a4957a299b2b 
does contain a link to obtain the software and takes me to a page at....
https://myenterpriselicense.hpe.com/cwp-ui/free-software/SINGLENODE
which lists this software:-

HPE StoreOnce 2600, 4200, 4400 QR Image
SINGLENODE
Version: Various
Release Date: Jul 28, 2020

This QR Image is presently unavailable

However as it states the QR Image isn't availalale to download.

I'd like to know what my options are with this server, beyond being stuck at the software level that it is already at, for example can I install a diffence verson of the G3 software from an ISO image that is available to download?
The little amount of information that I can find suggests that I'll need to remove the flash storage card from the servers motherboard anyway so once that is done is the D2D just a server like any other that I could install a different NAS OS on to from a different vendor?

any help or suggestions would be appreciated, just as a note - we took this from support in December so I no longer have the option of raising a ticket for help.

Thank you,

David.

5 REPLIES 5
rwhitaker.cr
HPE Pro

Re: HP StorageWorks D2D2504i

Hello @DTud,

Thanks for using HPE StoreOnce Backup Storage Forum.

The unavailability of software for the D2D 2504i Backup System EJ002C is because of the End of Support Life (EoSL) for the product (expired on December 31st, 2019) and also due to hardware generation (Gen6) mostly unavailable.

I suggest you engage your HPE Account Representative to look for options.

Hope this helps.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

DTud
Visitor

Hi @rwhitaker.cr 
Thank you for your response and guidance.

I had suspected that this may be the case for this package, I do not necessarily agree with the policy of making software upgrades unavailable when a product becomes EOL, in these days of ecological responsibility it robs the machine of usefulness and makes it a candidate for scrap all the sooner. It would, in my opinion be preferable to keep the files available with a note that they are used at your own risk.
I am sure that opinions will vary so that aside....

Are you able to help with the other questions in my post please?

1) Am I able to use other G3 packages or is the upgrade that I'm missing from G2 to G3 a prerequisite?

2) If updating the HP software on the chassis is not an option then am I able to remove the flash storage and just use it as a bare-bones server for other NAS OS's or ESXi?

Thank you,

David.

rwhitaker.cr
HPE Pro

Hello @DTud ,

My aplogies for the delay.  I could agree with allowing use of software at your own risk, however as technologies advance your will soon endup with with a useless device because of no possibility to obtain any type of support/upgrade to help it keep working.

In regard of your questions:

1) Conversion to G3 requires the removal of the flash stick. Not all G3 software can be used to convert 2504i G2E to G3.  The highest supported software on all Proliant Server Gen6 and Gen7 hardware is version 3.13.9 and as you can see the Quick Restore (QR) software version that you may used is not available at this link.  If you own any G3 software version equal or lower to 3.13.9 you can try using it, and as you mention, at your own risk.  Any attempt to use a higher version may be rejected as most have a hardware version check to allow upgrade or quick restore.

2) If unit is out of hardware/support contract, yes you can use it as a bare-bone server of your interest (not sure if will support ESXi).

Hope this helps.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

DTud
Visitor

Hi @rwhitaker,
Thank you for taking the time to reply with so much useful detail.

The server only came out of support recently on the 31st December last year, up until then it had quietly done its job in production and as is often the case the risk of upgrade out weights the benefit hence it was left at what is now a very old version of StorageWorks.

Now that the server is out of production, I am free to do with it as I will, that it is old and difficult to support does add an overhead but for my purposes I can live with that.
I am especially keen to use the tape library features.

I have a test and training environment that I would like to use the D2D to take baseline backups of and the software available to me will work with G3 but not G2.

Is there anyway that the G3 software could be opened to me please?
Firstly to convert from G2 to G3 and a bonus would be to take it to its final supported version of 3139.
I would understand and agree that it would be solely at my own risk and without support or regress.

I have attached a few screenshots to show firmware and software levels etc.

Thank you again for your help.

Kind regards,

David.

d2d.PNGD2D2.PNGD2D3.PNG

rwhitaker.cr
HPE Pro

Hello @DTud,

Once more apologies for the delay.

The problem is that the requested files are not available and don't have a way to get them so, as suggested before, try to engage the account team to see if they can help you with that.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo