1752786 Members
5792 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to extend a StoreOnce VTL?

PRCA
Visitor

How to extend a StoreOnce VTL?

I have 2 StoreOnces 5500 with vtls synced. I need to extend the number of tapes of a vtl that is synchronized with another box. What is the correct procedure? Do I need to disable sync before? I did it another time and I had severals problems. I had to delete the target vtl and redo the sync to solve the problem. Anyway, what is the correct procedure to extend the VTL?

I use TSM (IBM Spectrum Protect) with VTLs. After expansion, the TSM does not recognize the newly added tapes. According to IBM documentation I need to restart the VTL to do checkin. Is there any way to restart a VTL without restarting all services?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
GaneshPrasad
HPE Pro

Hello ,

There is no need to disable the sync , you can etend the tapes of VTL and the Back up APP will be able to see the extended cartidges whcih should then be mapped with the other storeonce ...

It does not even require to reboot or restart any services..it can be done online. If any issues still you can log a case with us so we can check...

Please see the link below for the user guide whcih has more info: (See for the pages:  80-87)

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c05063428-1.pdf

Thankyou

I am an HPE Employee

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

PRCA
Visitor

Thank you very much!

After creating new slots/catridges we had the following error when we did the tapes checkin in TSM:

ANR8314E Library VTLVMWARE is full

The IBM document that says it is necessary to restart the VTL was:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg22000810

I am using the IBM-TS3500 / IBM-LTO3 emulation

After extending the VTL, from 1500 to 5000 tapes, the replication has only 1500 mapped slots. How do I add  the 3500 slots without remove and create the replication?

Regards,

Paulo