1748179 Members
4081 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Interactive Copy issues with DP and VSL6000

Jason Antes [2]
Advisor

Interactive Copy issues with DP and VSL6000

I backup all my fiber attached servers to a VTL nightly and do a copy down to SDLT320 tape during the day on an MSL5052. The problem arises when the copy session fails and I have to rerun the copy. When I go to rerun the copy my source drives show up as both from the MSL and VTL.

It then proceeds to not use any drives from the VTL as the source but only from the MSL even though the tapes it's trying to mount are the cartridges in the emulated library unit (which for obvious reasons I cannot put into the MSL). I need to just recopy the session but no matter what I do I cannot get the copy to use the VTL drives as source and the MSL drives as destination after a copy of the same session has failed once before.

I've tried removing the parts of the session that completed successfully, I've tried changing the source from automatic to manual on every component, making sure to select the VTL backup. I'm at a wits end. I don't want to have to rerun the backup and the copy just to get this to tape.

Thanks,
Jason
5 REPLIES 5
Harry Banbury
Occasional Advisor

Jason

This sounds like the DP application has become confused about where the tape volumes are physically located. Try performing a barcode scan on both libraries to re-sysnc the DP view. Also, make sure you have all of the latest DP patches installed (what version of DP?)

Harry
Jason Antes [2]
Advisor

We're running DP 5.50. I'm pretty sure I'm up to date on the patches but I'll check again. I've done barcode scans to no avail. It does work again if I pull the tapes out of the library that it has already written to (found that out this morning).
Jason Antes [2]
Advisor

DP patches are all up to date as of what was released up to this last weekend.
Harry Banbury
Occasional Advisor

Jason

Only other thing I can think of is use the HP L&TT utiliy on a host node to verify that this utility can associate the correct drives with the correct libraries and verify the Target devices Serial number (the VLS Library and tape drive serial numbers should all be simular and in numerical sequence).

I still believe this is a DP issue.

I guess if I were you, I would open up a support call against both DP & the VLS.
Gather DP logs for the DP call and gather a VLS support ticket for the VLS call.

If I had a VLS Support ticket and the date/time of the original tape copy failure, as well as the date/time for retry failure, I could look and see if there was anything going on out of the ordinary from the VLS point of view.

Harry
Alexander Pino, Sr.
Frequent Advisor

Jason:

whenever you're ready to Restart a failed Copy job, indeed both MSL & VTL will show up. What you need to do is "Change" it back to the original or another available VTL.

Good luck!

APinoSr.
It is, what it is!