Re: Starting HP D2D 4000 issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pedr_1
Advisor

Starting HP D2D 4000 issue

Hello everybody.

Enviroment: HP D2D 4000

I had to shutdown this backup device for maintenance tasks. When I started its drives and media changer doesn't appears under device manager of backup server.

I saw at administration 's web on Home->Devices as "Starting: Please wait" . On Status->Fibre Channel->Device->Port ID Media Changer, Drive 1 and Drive 2 appears as "Down"

In San Switch, the port is offline.

It's first time that I see this behavor, 'cause in other times it start ups and everything was fine.

I don't know why it is starting its devices to slow.

Thanks for helping.

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Disk-Based Backup. - Hp Forum Moderator

13 REPLIES 13
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Pedr,

I would suggest you raise a support call to HP for this.

It sounds like there is some issue starting up the deduplication store associated with your virtual library.

If the unit was shutdown by power cycling and/or is on much older software and has any housekeeping backlog then it can take several hours to bring the deduplication store online and hence allow connection via iSCSI and FC to the virtual drives.

In the eventlog available from the GUI under status->logs see if you see an entry after power up regarding "dirty shutdown" - this will tell you the deduplication store is having to go through its integrity checking before bringing it online.

Not knowing what software version etc you are on then its difficult to comment further.

HP support will be able to resolve your issue and get your appliance up and running again.

Cheers,

Dave Dewar
Pedr_1
Advisor

hi and thanks for helping. I saw in logs this line: "... was shutdown not cleary".

Can you give some link of documentation of this device??

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

D2D documentation can be found here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3896393тМй=en&cc=us

just click on manuals

--

is the d2d up and running now?
how long did it take for it to boot?
how much data do you have on it?
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Pedr,

Ok so it looks like the deduplication store did not see a clean shutdown and so is going through integrity checking before bringing the library online.

Is the unit now back up correctly?

It can take several hours to bring stores online through integrity checking, particularly with older software versions and appliances with a lot of data.

Not knowing those details its difficult to say how long it you shoudl expect it to take.

If the library is not online after 24 hours then I would contact HP support as the integrity process might have found an issue and marked the store as failed to start.

HP support will be able to recover this and get your store back online.

Cheers,

Dave Dewar
Pedr_1
Advisor

Hello again. Now I have a bigger problem, Some days ago Writing Ratio to D2D was very poor and some jobs was canceled by D2D. When I go to see, the device is at 96 % of capacity (almost full). I restarted 1 day ago and System State is "Initialising". How long can this take?? Can I erase some disk at manually way????

Thanks again
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Restarting the D2D's is often not the best thing to do just to see if it works better..
Pedr_1
Advisor

Thanks Johan for awnsering.

So, what do you advise me???
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Is it still initializing?

Might be hard to delete stuff manually from it, I don't know sorry. Maybe HP support can assist you.
Pedr_1
Advisor

Hey Johan and thabks again. Yes is initialising yet.

I put a monitor at its vga port and I can se everithing ok BUT Raid is reporting "Not Mounted". It is 2 day of starting.... Can I format these disk ???